Prologue

Toulon, France 1889

"Vashe vysochestvo!" Called a loud frantic voice followed by hurried footsteps.

Viktor paused in his packing, cursing underneath his breath before turning to face his butler.

"Ne govori mne plokhiye novosti!" Viktor yelled though he knew what was to come.

"Your brother, your majesty, the third in line has been poisoned. You are now the third in line for the throne." His manservant, Boris, proclaimed nervously for he knew Viktor's temper. Viktor's eyes grew round with shock before narrowing slowing.

He had lost yet another brother all within the span of three months. He gritted his teeth knowing that he would leave his family vulnerable on his voyage. The things happening in St. Petersburg were quickly flying out of hand. The events regarding his family were out of his control and it irritated and frustrated him to no end, he applauded himself on his ability to stay in control and as of the last couple of months that control had began to crumble.

"Chert voz'mi!" Viktor cursed loudly, punching his chest of clothing.

He knew, regardless of the want to stay, he needed to do this. The woman waiting for him in his aunt's care was not to his liking. She was being forced upon him and he was not welcoming her with open arms. He had met her once and had come to the conclusion that he did not trust her nor did he like her.

Though he loved his aunt dearly she was not a good judge of character and if he did not exercise his opinions now, she would, much like him, try to control his every decision. He scowled at the thought.

And with all that had been happening lately he was on high alert, he calculated any and everything, and everyone was currently under his suspicion for he refused to lose another sibling. He, though he would not admit it, was not excited about his movement up the ladder toward the throne. He did not see the appeal in being king and in all honesty, he was being selfish with this investigation. He did not want to be king. He did not feel that it was meant for him.

"How did he die? Was it poison this time as well?" Viktor asked.

Boris nodded, "Yes, his wine was apparently poisoned."

Viktor ran a hand through his short black hair, feeling anxious, "did no one check his wine beforehand!" He snapped.

"The maid responsible for delivering his parchment disappeared and can not be found." Boris mumbled.

He took a deep breath, trying desperately to calm his nerves before pointing to his chest, "Have my things collected, we must go and Boris?"

His manservant reached for one of his chest before meeting his eyes, "Yes, your majesty?"

"Use English until I tell you otherwise." He mumbled before walking from the room.

Boris nodded his understanding, "Of course, your highness."

The sooner he found a wife of his own choosing the sooner he could return to France and continue his work. Something was not right and he intended on finding out what it was.

He rubbed his chin in thought, swearing underneath his breath as he realized that he had forgotten his documents. He turned swiftly, nearly bumping in Boris, who was struggling with the chest in his arms. He moved past him, heading into his room and headed for his desk, grabbing for the two envelopes sitting on it, one was filled with letters and written suspicion while the other was an urgent letter that he intended to send off before boarding the ship. He tucked them neatly inside his travelling coat before heading for the door. He moved steadily, taking the rounded steps two at a time before stopping at the door and calling over his footman.

His footman bowed appropriately, "Your highness."

He pulled out the letter and placed it quickly in the man's hands. "Have this delivered to the Tsar immediately and tell him it is a matter of the utmost importance."

The footman nodded before Viktor disappeared out of the door, running for his waiting carriage.

He had a goal to meet and a murderer to find, now was not the time to dally.

*Okay, here it is, lol, no more mistakes with my chapters. I apologize!*