Chapter Seven

{Chapter Seven}

"Where are you going?" Mom demands when I head to the door after getting ready for the date. I glance at her over my shoulder and shrug.

"I'm going out with Lydia." I reply smoothly and she sighs, seeming ready to say something until Dad stops her.

"Oh, Hun, let him go have fun. In fact, here's a few dollars for you kids to spend. Have fun." He adds, handing me way more than a few dollars before smiling and shooing me off. I nearly sigh in relief when I get in my car, thankful that my dad intervened before she asked too many questions.

Before I drive off, I send a quick text to Lydia, telling her to say I'm there if my mom calls for some reason. She replies with a questioning "okay" and with that I drive to the location Ian said to meet him.

The place Ian said to meet him is a restaurant. It's more like a diner however, with the exception of the food being more of pasta, soups, and bread bowls rather than burgers.

I park my car on the side and after I assure the alarm is on I walk into the restaurant. I walk past a guy who is obviously in a gang, making me walk past quicker and wish my car wasn't worth so much. I push those thoughts away though because I know I saw a nicer car in the parking lot, and walk to the back where the familiar eerie gray eyes catch my own hazel eyes.

Ian smiles brightly when I get to the table and stands, looking like he wants to hug me but instead holds his hand out. "Hey, you made it."

I arc a brow, shaking his hand a bit awkwardly. "Did you expect me to stand you up?"

"Maybe," he replies and I sit down, ignoring his words. We both look around, the awkward air trying to set in because we obviously don't know what to talk about.

"Can I get you a drink?" The waitress seems to come out of nowhere and I nearly jump in surprise. I glance at her and then look back at the table.

"Just a water, please." I reply and she nods before her bright blue eyes look to Ian. He glances up in surprise, looking at her as he seems to realize only now that she's talking to him.

"Oh just water for me too, thank you." He replies quickly and she nods with a smile before leaving. He glances at the table before opening a menu and I nearly chuckle at his obvious awkwardness.

"Have you been here before?" I ask, looking at my own menu. His head snaps up in surprise.

"Wait, me? I mean, oh yeah, of course you're talking to me. Oh uh, yeah my parents and I used to come here all the time. It's pretty good, I don't like the shrimp though but I'll go ahead and shut up now..." He rambles and I chuckle, thoroughly amused with his rambling.

"Used to? Why did your family stop coming?" I wonder aloud, tilting my head to the side in confusion. He shrugs, looking at his menu once more.

"Oh, my mom died, so my dad doesn't want to come here anymore since it reminds him of her. I mean, he got remarried but he still misses my mom, you know. So he doesn't like being here." He explains rapidly and guilt fills me immediately.

"Oh God, Ian, I'm so sorry, I had no idea." I apologize immediately, feeling horrible for asking him that.

"It's okay, she passed away a little more than ten years ago. I mean, I miss her but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I mean, when it first happened I was a wreck, I was only seven of course but still. My dad was great though, he helped me get over it. But you know, I still miss her." He explains rapidly and my brows furrow in concern. I reach over and place my hand on top of his in comfort.

"I'm sorry." I state honestly. I know it won't do anything, but hopefully it helps some. He grins, seeming to let his mood change in a blink.

"It's okay, Levy, really. Anyway, what are you getting? I'm getting the chicken soup, it sounds great right now. It's really good. I also like the chicken salad, they have good chicken. I love their chicken." He continues and I smile a bit, happy that I didn't kill the mood completely.