Chapter Ten: Mesmeric Blue

– Terra–

– Terra–

I arrive ten minutes late for the next club meeting, prepared to give an explanation, but to my surprise, it isn't needed. Daniel simply gives me the same friendly grin and welcomes me to join them in an ongoing discussion.

Of course, this isn't high school anymore. Tardiness is as common as skipping lectures (and then catching up with them a day before exams).

Muttering apologies, I weave my way through the cracks between the arrangement of chairs and desks before taking a seat next to Zach by default. He doesn't greet me, and for some reasons, I don't either. It almost feels unnecessary, but only when I'm dealing with him.

The twins, Kelly and Kacey I think, are in the midst of sharing their somewhat exciting experience about helping out a friend yesterday. I seem to have missed the first half, and combined with their unnatural speed at storytelling, I'm utterly lost. Everyone begins clapping and I do the same with an exaggerated grin.

"Does anyone else have anything to share?" Daniel asks the circle and I look around. It must be a tradition to start off club meetings like this, it's almost like a gathering among closely-knit friends who gladly wear their heart on their sleeves. I feel like I can forget that I'm on campus when I'm around here. I can definitely get used to this.

"Here, right here." A hand shoots up into the air and starts waving vigorously. Everyone turns towards it and I see a guy and a girl, probably partners, the girl looking flustered and the guy wearing a bright smile on his face. Ooh, they look cute. "Penelope has something to say."

She glances around the room shyly, her auburn braided hair flowing loosely off the side of her neck. I gaze like a little child staring at a glazed doughnut through a glass. She is kind of pretty. Her partner, Cody, gives her an encouraging thumbs up and she takes a deep breath.

"I have an English recital coming up, and...I have stage fright." She gulps as the room listens attentively.

"I think we can all show some support by helping her rehearse, don't you think?" Cody beams, receiving a few enthusiastic nods from the circle, including my own.

"That's a great idea." Daniel agrees instantly. "If it's okay with you, Penny."

"Sure." She manages a quiet reply.

As though by cue, Kelly rises from her seat to approach her, and while it looks like they are just having an ordinary conversation, it is probably their way of trying to ease her into hearing her own voice. Daniel joins them a second later and they launch into a lighthearted discussion about ways the club could lend her a hand.

I stretch my tiny limbs, feeling refreshed and excited to be part of a club that helps people. I feel happy just being in the same room.

Naturally, I turn to Zach, who appears absent towards what is happening around him. Well, not everyone in the room is as enthusiastic. I think of ways to strike a conversation with him, but I'm running out of good ideas.