Chapter 26

Adelaide smirked in the car on the way back to the plantation after meeting up with Davina again to check up on the baby. She was thinking about Rousseau's and everything that happened not even two hours before. 

"Elders aren't the only  ones who can cast importnant or difficult spells. You all can, unless you gave up your ultimate power and settled for less." 

"What if the ancesstors did?" Sabine asked. 

"Their choice does not affect you. Here's what happened, your magic is repressed but you can do major spells. It's what got Jane-Anne killed and Sophie on the way of killing. You can break free, they did." Adelaide explained. 

Sabine looked confused but stood her ground. "The Elders are the only ones who can do important spells"

Deciding it wasn't worth it and Elijah agreeing with her, she backed off and let Elijah have the word. "Like completing the Harvest ritual?" 

"You know about that?" Sabine asked confused.

"Oh, you'd be astounded by the things I know" Elijah smirked. 

 "Allow me to entertain you with today's list of priorities. One, unlink your friend Sophie so she no longer controls the fate of the woman carrying my child. Two, convince my brother to accept my heartfelt apologies for some recently dodgy behavior. Three...there is no three ." Niklaus finished. 

Adelaide rolled her eyes, "I believe what my brother is attempting to communicate here is that neither the life of this Elder, nor the Harvest ritual, nor your coven's connection to magic are of any relevance to him whatsoever." There was a heavy silence. "Now talk." 

She quickly drove to the plantation while the boys were still out with Sophie. She was confused when no one- and by no one, she meant no one, not even Rebekah or Hayley- was on the first floor. She frowned before she walked up the stairs and looked into Hayley's room. Hayley was lying on the bed with Rebekah blothing sweat off of her forehead and chest with a washcloth. 

Adelaide walked in and coughed. "What's going on?" 

"Sophie." The two answered.

While she did know something was going on, Adelaide had no idea what. She pretty much guessed it was Sophie-related but what was Sophie-related, she had no idea. Hayley did not look good, though. 

"Stop fussing, will you? Elijah will be here any minute." Rebekah ordered when Hayley was squirming again and groaned. 

"I feel like I've been microwaved." Hayley groaned, again. 

"Hey! Just because you're carrying a baby doesn't mean you get to act like one! I'm sure my little niece is healing you up as we speak." Rebekah ordered, to which Adelaide chuckled. 

She looked behind her when she heard not one person, but two persons, walking in the house. Elijah appeared with Sophie at her side. Rebekah, who had stood up with a smile to greet her brother, looked appalled by what she saw. 

"What the hell is she doing here?" Rebekah demanded to know. 

"I'm trying to help." Sophie sighed. 

Adelaide took Rebekah's place by Hayley and started cooling her off while the two siblings and the witch continued bickering. 

"Addy?" Hayley asked. 

"Hails?" Adelaide responded. 

"Tell me a story." Hayley begged. 

Adelaide rolled her eyes but did it anyway. "A long time ago, long time ago, I lived in a village where now is Mystic Falls. I was just a small girl when new people arrived. They were the new gossip. The mother supposed to be a Witch, Father barbaric and their children were just as bad. There were only two children and one baby. The baby was supposed to be a bastard child, or so I heard. Even as a young girl, I was adventurous. I always wanted to do new things. So I did and I got to know the family. The children were amazing and we grew up to be friends. I loved the baby." 

Hayley smiled as she realized who the family was. 

"I was always smitten with the second oldest son but it wasn't until I was considered of age, which was around fifteen, that I realized just how smitten I was. I didn't only see him as a friend anymore, I saw him as the love of my life. But I did nothing, I didn't want to do anything because what might happen if he said no, which I was sure he would've said, so I ignored my feelings and stayed as his best friend. When I was nearly 20, a girl came to the village with the child of another. My crush, as you would say it, and the bastard brother were immediately in love. I knew I didn't stand a chance and lost him forever." 

Adelaide chuckled dryly. 

"I should've followed my advise and detachted myself from the family, my crush specifically. I should've just kept to myself. I did, when it was too late. In front of my eyes, the two brothers were fighting for the girl and I was there on the sideline. The bastard brother didn't give up but we were always great friends so he didn't pursue her in front of me and actually spent time with me. He even started helping me look for a husband. I was twenty and had put it off as long as possible. I was already a Vampire by then and Esther said I didn't have to marry anyone anymore. My own mother was gone by then, I had lived on my own for years." 

Hayley frowned but didn't interrupt the story. 

"On one of the final days that the family was still Human, there was a feats and the girl had decided. She wanted my crush as her husband and I would be left with some guy to marry. I stayed inside of my house for the rest of the week until Esther rushed to me and begged me to help her family. I didn't want to but I owned her so I did it. I figured it was the perfect chance for us all to start over, so I did. I helped and compelled them to forget me. They left and I was always in their shadows looking over them. They always had me to protect them, even if they didn't know it." 

Adelaide smiled as she realized Hayley hadn't squirmed or groaned for a while. Maybe her story had soothed her a bit. 

"That's the tale of the Mikealsons and me. And I still love them one by one." 

"Why do you love Klaus?" 

"He's like a brother to me. When Elijah was parading Tatia around, I had Niklaus to comfort me. He knew that I was in love with Elijah and stood by me as he watched him parade Tatia around. He actually fought for me. Elijah messed up a few moths ago and Nik promised Elijah he would make sure I find happiness again. He would also make sure Elijah wouldn't. Unless I wanted Elijah with me and he is still not 100% on board with it." 

"He seems nice." 

"When you know him like I do, he is."