Chapter 15: Baby steps

Caden

I turned and rolled right off the bed.

"Ouch!" I let out as I carefully sat up, my eyes barely opened and when they finally did, I realized I was still in Blayze's study room. The back of my neck hurt from lying in an uncomfortable position, a space, barely lengthy enough for my height.

I looked around and there was no sighting him. A frown surfaced between my brows.

"Mean man. He's such a jerk." I let out as I recalled asking him not to let me spend the night here and yet he did. The night was cold and he didn't at least leave me with a blanket.

Anyways, I lifted myself off the ground and only then did I catch sight of the morning sun trying its best to peep into the room regardless of the slightly drawn curtains.

Something about the brightness called out to me and so I walked to the window, slightly pulled the curtain to the side and stared out into the large field. There, I saw a man on a white horse, barely riding with the wind. I squinted my eyes for a closer look and he looked nothing familiar. I better go outside and with such thought; I turned away and only stopped after a few steps.

That's right. I haven't washed up.

Quickly, I made my way out of the room and while heading for the stairs, I drew to a halt then took two to three steps backwards. I turned my head to the room, the door widely open and in it, Blayze, who was on a call.

Good thing he faced another direction and was unable to sight my presence. I thought of going in and giving him a piece of my mind for being so unkind but then, I shook my head, changing my mind. Most often, talking to Blayze was futile and energy draining so I'll just let him be and not ruin my morning... yet.

Holding a hair band in one and using the fingers of my other hand, I brushed my hair to assemble at the crown of my head. Instantly, I held it up with the hair band and once my hands fell back to my side, I stared at my reflection in the mirror once more.

Clean, fresh, a loose sky-blue shirt, a carton colored three-squatter trouser and a pair of regular sneakers to start the day. A fair smile played on my face at my reflection.

"Not bad." I encouraged myself, admitting the fact that fashion wasn't really my cup of tea. I just try to look presentable enough.

Blayze

A folder in one hand and my smart phone in the other, I made my way out of the dining room. Louder steps and I stopped, turning my head to the direction of the sound only to watch her hurry down the last staircase and hastened her steps towards the door.

Something about her movement felt bright and bubbly so much that for a moment, I fell curious as to why she was suddenly like that but was immediately corrected by the fact that... somehow; she has always been that way.

Refusing to concern myself anymore, I turned away and continued on my own path.

Caden

"Hello." I called out as I approached the man on the horse. The wind was a bit stronger than I'd assumed but thank God my hair's up.

He looked my direction and for a moment, I subconsciously analysed his looks. Not bad and probably in his early or mid-twenties. His body build was great as well and once he got down the horse, I realized he was tall as well or perhaps, I think he's tall due to my own height.

Mentally I shook my head. Whatever.

As a smile played out on his face, I displayed one of mine.

"Mrs Norman?" His voice was deep and catching.

In one slow blink, I replied. "Caden, just call me Caden and you? You're..." I waited for him to chip in.

"Jason. I tend to the horses and the field."

"Jason." I repeated as if that would help me know him better.

"Horses. There are more?" I added and he nodded.

"Yes. Most of them were born here. Do you want to see?" His last question made me widen my eyes a bit.

"I can?"

"Sure. You're the boss's wife." He added in a friendly tone and for a moment, that sank in.

"Yeah... that's right. I'm the boss's wife." I repeated in a fake broad smile.

I watched him turn the horse in the direction we were to go and thereafter followed beside them and silence played out for a minute. I didn't want this becoming awkward so I spoke.

"And Blayze? Does he ride? I mean, having horses, he must like them."

"Well... I'm not sure. I don't know much about him. I grew up here and all but this is the first time I'm seeing him in years."

I drew to a stop, a little taken aback by the unexpected information.

"So... perhaps, did his parents live here?" I questioned, the curiosity in me getting the best of me. I mean I've been good so far. I neither looked into his background nor queried about his family. Also, maybe because I didn't care since he was forcing marriage upon me and all but now, we're married and I want to know.

Blayze

Holding the phone close to my ear, I stood to my feet and walked up to the centre table. I picked up papers stapled together as the voice of my assistant came through from the other side. I left the papers back on the table.

"Yes. The Dalton street project, it seems I'd left it in the office." I stated as I made my way to the window. I sighted Caden talking to an employee on the field. She smiled brightly and at a point, chuckled.

"Sir? Mr. Norman." My assistant's call revived my thoughts.

"Scan it and forward to my email." I completed before disconnecting the call.

Soon, they were walking and now, they stopped.

I buried a hand into the pocket of my trouser and watched for a second more. Sooner than later, I walked away.