Chapter 27

They moved Hayley out to the pool. She sat at the pool wrapped in a towel with Adelaide next to her while Elijah assisted Sophie in helping with the herbs . Hayley wasn't looking that well when Adelaide started checking her out. 

"She's burning up! We need to do this now." Adelaide yelled. 

"Get her in the water." 

Elijah jumped in the pool and Adelaide handed him Hayley who was groaning in pain. It wouldn't be long before she would be screaming in pain, Adelaide knew that. She wished that she wouldn't have to be in so much pain. While Hayley could be a bitch, she was also a great woman and she didn't deserve to be in pain. 

" I don't see how a midnight swim is supposed to help." Rebekah said frustrated. 

"Her temperature is sky-high. The water, with the help of the herbs, should cool us down." She hands Hayley a mix of herbs and tells her to drink it before turning to Elijah. "You're going to have to get her heart rate down."

"How do you suggest I do that?" Elijah asked. 

"Keep holding her like that.It's a natural human remedy to slow the heart rate and reduce blood pressure." Sophie explained. 

"This is never gonna work." Rebekah said worriedly. 

"Davina will break the link, we just need time." Elijah told his sister. 

Adelaide walked over to her and laid a hand on her arm. "This will work, Rebekah, don't worry." 

Hayley started hyperventilating. "I can't breath!" 

"Okay, long deep breaths, Hayley! Look at me. Long deep breaths, just focus on the sound of my voice. You'll be okay. You'll be okay." He whispered. 

" AHHHH! AHHHH!" Hayley screamed in pain while trashing around in Elijah's arms. 

"I just felt it lift." Sophie said a while later, looking at the sky. 

 "Come on, let's go." Elijah said as Hayley was starting to calm down. 

"Elijah... as soon as your brother finds out that the link is broken, he'll kill Agnes. I know you don't owe me anything, but please, don't let him kill her." Sophie begged. Elijah just walked out and grabbed his phone out of the jacket Adelaide was holding. "Elijah! She's our only access to the power we need to survive. Promise me that you'll stop him!"

"It's me, where are you? ... Don't hurt her. I'll be there shortly." He hung up before turning to Sophie. "I'll make you one last promise. I won't let my brother kill Agnes."

Adelaide walked away and Elijah followed her to his bedroom, where Rebekah soon joined them. They hadn't talked but Adelaide couldn't help but feel proud of Davina. 

"The unlinking worked! Maybe now we can make plans--" Rebekah said but Elijah cut her off. 

"Not now, Rebekah. Can we discuss this when I return?" Elijah walked towards the door but was stopped when he heard what Rebekah said. 

"I won't be here when you return." 

"That sounds like a goodbye." Adelaide observed. 

" ...I guess it is. I only came to New Orleans to make sure you were safe. You are. I thought that I might be able to convince you to come with me, but here you are, rushing into whatever Klaus and Marcel and the witches have cooked up. And I finally get it." She started to tear up. "You'll never leave this city. You'll never leave Klaus."

"Then you should stay." Elijah suggested. 

"This thing that you and Klaus and Marcel have, I want no part of it." Tears fell down her cheeks as she started to cry. "I just want to be free."

"Well, then, go." He kissed her cheek. "You are free!"

Elijah left and Rebekah tried to compose herself but it was Adelaide that stopped her. 

"So, you won't stay? I haven't even popped yet." 

Rebekah chuckled. "I might not be here but I'll always look over my little cousins." 

"Ah yes, what about Hayley?" Adelaide asked. 

"I'll be here for her child as well." Rebekah assured Adelaide. 

"Then what did you mean with cousins?" Adelaide asked with furrowed brows. 

"You mean Elijah hasn't noticed? I hear two heartbeats... Darling, you're having twins." 

Adelaide's eyes widened. "What do you mean, twins?" 

"Listen." Adelaide concentrated and sure enough she heard two heart beats down there. "Protect them as well as you can. And as long as I am not here, tell them all kinds of stories about their crazy aunt Bekah." 

Adelaide smiled sadly. "I will do that." She stepped closer and hugged her. "God, I will miss you."

"I'll miss you too, darling." She kissed Adelaide's cheek. "I have someone else to say goodbye to. I'm sure we'll cross paths again." 

Adelaide nodded. "Yes, I am as well." 

Rebekah smiled before flashing out. Adelaide took her jacket before flashing to the church where she went straight to the attic, ignoring Agnes, Niklaus and Elijah. She smiled at Davina when she entered and saw the unknotted tie. 

"You did it!" 

"I also unlinked someone else, didn't I?" She asked. 

"Yes, but it is for your own good that you didn't know. If Sophie knew you would be doing magic, she could've tracked you. I am actually here to give you my grimmoire, you can choose two spells of mine." 

Her eyes widened. "Really?" 

Adelaide nodded. "Really. I need one thing in exchange, though." 

"One thing?" Davina asked. 

"One small thing, just an answer really." Adelaide shrugged. 

Davina nodded while going through the pages of the grimmoire Adelaide put in front of her. "What is it?" 

"When you did that spell, on my child-" 

"Children." Davina interrupted. "I thought you knew, it's why I didn't tell you." 

"Children? As in two?" 

Davina nodded while taking a spell out of the grimmoire after checking if it was okay with Adelaide. "Yes, two. One of each."

"Boy and girl?" 

"Boy and girl." Davina confirmed. "I'm expecting you to show soon." 

"Is that so?" Adelaide asked. 

"Yes, I mean, I think so, from what I could tell. You're not that far along so I can't be certain but it's heading that way." 

Adelaide smiled and thanked Davina before taking her grimmoire and leaving again with the promise of coming by again soon. 

A boy and a girl, life was looking good.