Chapter 32 - The VIP

To @nidshan for being sooo into this... for strongly and furiously cracking my mind that it's indeed high time for my dear Thea to give up... haha... This is for you, girl.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~ CHAPTER 32 - THE VIP ~~~

"This is the baker you said you'd like to meet, Mr. Sarmiento. She's our darling in the orphanage, our most active volunteer here, Miss Althea Ruiz," Mother Clarita said.

What would you do when you see again the most hated man of your life? What would you do when you thought there was no way that he could ever exist again but there he was standing before you like an apparition who had just come to life from where he was buried years ago?

I blinked my eyes.

No, this couldn't be true! This was just a nightmare! This couldn't be happening to me!

"It's nice to meet you, Miss Ruiz," the man with those remarkable pair of dark eyes spoke calmly as if he wasn't surprised seeing me at all... like he actually expected to see me now... He offered his hand for a handshake and, for seconds, my mind was actually debating if I was to accept it or not.

You are not affected, my inner voice stressed. You can go through this. Try your best to appear as calm as possible.

I clasped his warm palm with mine, but I hadn't spoken a word.

The contact was relatively brief for I immediately pulled my hand away and turned to Mother Clarita. "Mother, I think the program will start any moment by now. Will you excuse me?"

"But I haven't introduced Mr. Sarmiento to you yet, dear," Mother Clarita dissented.

There's no need for any introductions, Mother! I know him! I absolutely know this heartless jerk! And we're done handshaking... Good Lord!

I remained rooted to the ground, however. Mother Clarita would be disappointed with me if I would act rudely in front of her important guest.

"Alright, Thea dear, this is Mr. Nigelito Joaquin Sarmiento. He's been a benefactor for half a year now. He will be joining you later in the tour with Mr. and Mrs. Muñoz."

I was conscious that he was seeking my eyes all throughout the introductions but I didn't give him the chance to catch mine. There was no way that I would ever allow myself again to be trapped in those stares.

Yeah. Been there, done that. Like over and over again in the past.

So I averted my eyes away. I couldn't even describe what he was wearing. I just couldn't look at him.

Thankfully, before anything else had been said by anybody in our circle, there was an announcement for the start of the event.

That was my cue to leave the hall. Without looking at him anymore, I left immediately.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

My heart was beating furiously as I walked fast back to the kitchen. I had to pull myself together before I'd lose my mind.

Nigel... he was the benefactor who fell in love with my cupcakes? Was fate playing with me?

For two years, I tried my best to forget him... and when I was on the verge of successfully doing it, here he was! I guessed he needed some lessons on proper timing!

What was he doing now? And, what, a benefactor to my beloved orphanage? Was he kidding me?

Pull yourself together, Althea! Pull yourself together! Go prove to him that he's just a part of your dark past... and there's no way ever that you're to accept him again. Prove to him.