Chapter 33 - Home

To @cinderella-is-me, for the song "Jar of Hearts," the perfect song for rejecting someone. I didn't know there's such a wonderful heartbreaking song as this until you introduced this to me. Every time I sing this song, I feel like I'm Thea, singing for Nigel Joaquin.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

~~~ CHAPTER 33 - HOME ~~~

Since it was summertime and I had no classes, I had to work now full time in the shop.

I was not myself the whole week after the Marianne Orphanage Foundation celebration.

At work, I was disoriented. I kind of missed measurements of my cake ingredients. My co-workers complained the tastes of my cakes but when I tasted them myself, I couldn't see what exactly was wrong. Mrs. Riviera offered me a leave and so I was absent for two days.

By the weekend, I went to the orphanage with Mrs. Riviera. I knew she and Mother Clarita observed the changes in me as well but they never forced me to speak up. My visit at Marianne Orphanage was a normal Saturday for me. We went to our usual activities and I spent storytelling with the children. Fortunately, there were no VIP's this time or else I had to face one annoying person again.

I was like that for the whole week until I finally said to myself, "Enough is enough!"

Like the master controller that I was, I compelled myself to go back to my previous ways.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

The following weekend, I visited again the orphanage. I came to realize that God made me an orphan to let myself connect with the children. As usual, just like what we always did, the children gathered around me in the classroom to listen to a story. We all sat on the carpeted floor. This was the time that I had to make up again a fairy tale.

"...So the poor princess left the mean prince. She never came back," I wrapped up my story and all of them around me had their big eyes on me. Most of them were sad.

"Is that the end?" One cute girl in my right side asked when I no longer said a word.

"Yes, Abby, that was the end," I replied.

"Ohh... that was sad..." another girl mused, putting her cheek on her palm. "Why are your stories always sad, Big Sis?"

I managed to give her a smile. "Because some things are meant to have sad endings... because some couples are just not meant for each other... because 'he and she' to be together is one big mistake..." I said, trying to recall who told me that particular line in the past. I closed my eyes. I could still picture him out vividly in my mind when he said those words to me.

"Big Sis, are princes really mean?" Abby, the cute girl, asked which made me open my eyes.

"No, not all of them. The mean ones are just those who are blind... those who don't see clearly the value of others," I answered, brushing her hair.

"Some mean princes do know how to regret and repent. And when they do, they look for their runaway princesses." A familiar male voice joined in the conversation. The children and I turned to the direction of the doorway where the voice came from.

Crap.

You bet, it was the meanest prince on earth --- Nigel Sarmiento! He was there standing by the doorway, watching the kids and me sitting on the floor.

"Oh, he looks like a prince!" One girl dreamily quipped.

He was here? The buried soul?

Hadn't I told him to not come back anymore? Why was he here again?