36 Nothing

Iris~~

Abella and Alix left with Sebastian yesterday for the beach. None of the Veil has been able to dig up any news on Erik.

Jonas has been determined to keep it a secret from the Society as a whole, but as more and more people are needing to be told, it's only a matter of time until the rest of the Society learns the truth.

Jonas has us eat in the dining room to keep up the ruse that Erik has only run away again, and that he hasn't left to fight with the rebels—that we aren't as worried as we are.

Erik's heard me talk about what the rebels are like, but he still decided they were better than the Society. Gripping my fork, I push the strawberries around my salad wondering if he's finding the rebels all that he imagined them to be. He was in a position to make the Society into what he wanted, and he threw that away. If the rebels do succeed in overthrowing the Society, it won't be clean. It will be messy, and the country will be thrown into chaos. A perfect opportunity for another county to sweep in and take over.

I continue messing with the strawberries, waiting for my appetite to return. It vanished when I found out Erik left.

I know Erik thinks that on some level, everyone can be trusted, but the rebels will turn their backs on you the moment you're not convenient for them and as he is—or was—the Tresais, his standing with them will be constantly going up and down on the scales.

Colton, seated across from me, also spends more time pushing his food into piles than eating it. Dark circles arch underneath his eyes.

Jonas lets out a swear, shattering the sullen silence so suddenly I drop my fork. It hits the side of my plate with a clang.

"Khaleedi?" Colton asks.

"I forgot that Brydan's coming. He's on his way."

Colton sets his fork down, probably giving into the fact he's not going to feel like eating. "Just tell him not to come."

Jonas massages his temples. "Delaying this meeting won't make Erik return home." He lowers his hands. "I need to meet with Arrietty."

"Why?" August asks too abrupt to even try to play his interest off as merely polite. Seated beside him, Gwen gives her cousin a strange look.

She's been acting as Tresais in Erik's stead. Her parents departed for Amoria the day after Erik left. According to the Order, the journey takes two weeks, but they're hoping within a year to get it down to thirteen days.

"I'm worried," Jonas keeps his voice low, "that Erik will try to get her to join him."

August's hand clenches around his fork. "She's a Konkursi."

"I'm not questioning her loyalty, but if she refuses his offer, I'm worried what he would do. I think it's best she leaves the Estate for the time being."

August's grip relaxes. "I'll speak with her."

"You may do so, but I'd want to speak with her to help make the arrangements. After you speak, bring her to my office this afternoon."

August bows his head. "Yes, Preeminence."

I can't imagine Erik would ask Arrietty to join him, let alone hurt her if she says no, but I understand Jonas wanting to take precautions. Erik's unpredictable, and no matter what his first move ends up being, I have a feeling we won't be ready.