6

"Callan, Cassia, what brings you back here?" Evelyn questioned us as we entered her living quarters. "If I do say so, we have way to many visitors at the moment." She commented but I didn't care.

"Bring them here." I ordered her even though it wasn't my authority to. She questioned me with her facial expressions but knew exactly who I was talking of. She disappeared for a moment or two.

Four came out of the shadows first. He was rushing but as soon as he saw me he froze.

"Cassia." He chokes out. "We-we saw the broadcast." He adds to his little words. "I thought you were dead." He comes up to hug me but I step back.

"I don't want to be touched. I don't want anyone to pity me. I was bait, yes." I scoff thinking of what had happened.

"Now you've learnt Eric is just the self se-" I couldn't let him finish.

"You may think Eric cares only of himself Tobias Eaton but I know it's not true. If you dare to undermine his feelings towards people then you are dead." Four only laughs but even Callan decides enough is enough.

"It's nothing to laugh about, Four. You should've seen the hurt on his face when we left." Callan piped up.

"If he looked so hurt, why did she leave him?" It was Tris who spoke this while walking into the conversation.

"Why did I leave? Well maybe because it sickens me to be in the same building as Jeanine Matthews." I inform.

"He's just a part of her sick - twisted plan, Cassia. He hasn't left them yet." Tris rolls her eyes at me.

"Don't you dare. He came and looked for me. He wouldn't take no as an answer when he found me in Amity. He loves me." It was such powerful and meaning words.

"He doesn't love you, he never did. You're just a deluded girl who can't see past the baracade he's put in front of you." Her comment made my eyes sting with threatening tears until the tears eventually fell down my cheeks.

"Cassia," Callan tries but I shake my head.

"If he doesn't love me, I have nothing to live for." I choke and turn away, exiting Evelyn's office and sprinting out of factionless.

*****

I waited on the train, defeated and slumped down- tears staining my cheeks. He doesn't love you. He never did. I couldn't stop my wailing cries. I really wanted him by my side right now, telling me he loved me, telling me I was worth it.

You're not worth it.

I had to find Eric.

I had to know what I was worth.

*****

My feet take me through the huge barrier before entering Erudite. It recognised me but didn't warn anybody. It just said I was Dauntless. The erudite would obviously assume I'm apart of the divergent/killing scheme.

I enter Erudite and walk right to the front desk.

"Do you know where I could find Eric- um, Mr. Coulter around here?" I ask the young, Erudite woman on the desk.

"Oh I'm sorry, he left literally two seconds ago around the side entrance. He's heading on the train to factionless to find some girl- if you sprint you may catch him." She suggests and that's just what I did.

I turned around at 100mph and sprinted to the train.

*****

"Eric." I croaked out coming around the corner. He was halfway climbing up one platform to get on the train when he heard me. He noticed my tear soaked cheeks. "I couldn't stay there." I shook my head. "They were lying to me. Four, Tris, they were trying to tell me you were no good." I had to stop myself from bursting into tears.

His face said it all when he stood in front of me. "Eric," I pause, "do you love me?" I take a big step and finally ask this.

"Of course I love you, Cassia. You are my heart and soul." He pulls me into a hug and tucks his head into my shoulder.

"Why haven't you left then? If you love me so much?" I question quietly.

"I can't just leave." He whispers.

"Why not?" I respond but he sighs.

"It's not that simple Cassia, if I leave, they'll come looking for me." He pauses. "And if they found us, they'd kill us both or kill you. And a world without you is a world I do not want to live in." He runs his hand through my hair to soothe me for a while but it wares off shortly.

"So what am I going to do? It's not like Jeanine will let a divergent into her trust zone." I inform but he sighs.

"No one knows of your divergence except their suspicions Cassia." He concludes but I sigh.

"I don't want to work with her though." I plead and he sighs.