Chapter Eleven

I don't care what Astrid says, I'm going to get an answer out of her. I don't care how long it takes. I'm worried ...

"So," I said, crossing my arms over my chest, "what's up? Why did you leave the class?"

Astrid glanced upwards, rubbing her forehead. "I don't know," she snapped, "Mr Lee was pissing me off."

"You're lying Astrid. Come on, tell me the truth."

Astrid heaved a great sigh. "He insulted my brother ... "

"What?" Nobody should ever attempt to insult Astrid's family as it never ended well. Believe me, I should know.

"He insulted my brother Harry. You don't understand. Mr Lee is a bitch." The pain returned. My fists clenched against my sides.

"Did he insult you?" I said, my voice dangerously quiet.

Astrid hesitated. "No, he didn't."

"Astrid ... " I warned.

"It doesn't matter!" Astrid hissed. "I won't ever be going back to that classroom again."

Astrid was right. I would not be going back either. I hated Mr Lee, he had never been nice to me. Always complaining or judging me. To be honest, he shouldn't be a teacher.

My gut started to burn. I clutched at it, desperately trying to stop the pain. I gasped as I fell to the floor.

"Harry?" No, no! Astrid can't be here. I could start to feel my bones shifting positions, very slowly, but painfully.

"Astrid!" I winced. "You need to go. Now."

"Harry, I can't just - "

"GO!" I yelled, a slight growl in my voice. I waited until she was out the room before jumping out the open window. I landed gracefully on my two feet.

As I ran across the field, my bones changed positions and I was soon sprinting on four legs, into a cover of trees.

I stopped, gasping for my breath. Being a wolf wasn't easy. My ears twitched, I could hear a small rodent scurrying around in the bushes.

My lips curled, my teeth gleaming in the sunlight. I resisted the urge to go and run after it. I forced myself to turn away, lying down onto the floor.

I hated this. I had turned into a monster and I already wanted to kill a small innocent animal just to eat it. This sucks. I don't understand why this has happened to me.

Before I changed I didn't even think that this was possible! I mean, changing into a wolf? Are you serious?

I wish I could tell someone, anyone. They'd think I was crazy. Even Astrid. Fair enough, she's my best friend and all, but, she isn't me. She knows exactly who she is, she always has.

But me? I'm still looking ...

My head snapped up as the school bell rang. My eyes squinted, getting use to all the new sounds I had to listen to; students talking, cars honking and birds tweeting.

I sat up on my hind legs as students started pouring out the school. I had to wait at least ten minutes before I saw the girl I was looking for.

Astrid.

She looked doubtful, glancing over her shoulder then continuing to walk. Then I realised, she had grabbed my bag from Mr Lee's class.

My eyes lightened up. My tail wagged. It didn't stop until I stared at it. I guess those were my natural instincts.