Year 2 | The Burrow

JULY WAS COMING to an end and as he marked the day off of his calendar, Harry Potter was quite surprised to learn that his sister managed to handle the Dursleys with utmost respect for a month already

JULY WAS COMING to an end and as he marked the day off of his calendar, Harry Potter was quite surprised to learn that his sister managed to handle the Dursleys with utmost respect for a month already. Respect was something Harry could never scrape for the Dursleys, no matter how hard he tried or what he discovered on them. Although Lily Potter did not express much of a liking for any of them, her constant display of respect and her knack for cooking helped to reel Harry in from the hole of belittlement they had plunged him into. When their aunt, Petunua Dursley, demanded they dust the mantle or tend to the flowerbed, Lily always complied without a word or complaint.

A week after their arrival home, Harry noticed their Aunt Petunia held somewhat of a soft spot for Lily when their uncle, Vernon Dursley, shouted at her for giving him advice on how to tie Dudley's bow tie. Their pudgy cousin was attending a work party with his father and was therefore forced into a suit -- something he never wore in his entire life. So, naturally, he hadn't the slightest idea what to do when his mother handed him a black bow-tie -- apparently, neither did Uncle Vernon.

"Excuse me, sir, but that's not how you do it." said Lily. Harry wanted to puke at how polite she was being. "If I could just help--"

"I KNOW HOW TO TIE A BLOODY BOW-TIE, GIRL--" roared Uncle Vernon.

"Vernon!" exclaimed Aunt Petunia as she paused in chopping up vegetables for a salad. Her husband seemed taken aback by her intervention. "Let the girl do it."

Uncle Vernon turned purple in the face as Lily walked around him to Dudley and not a peep escaped Dudley's fat lips as Lily took the bow tie from him and strung it under the collar of his white dress shirt. When she finished tying the neat bow, she fixed his collar over it and ignored the tense silence in the room. Harry decided to walk along the lines and open his mouth.

"I didn't know you knew how to do that."

She shrugged. After all, she did have a lot of time to kill when she stayed with the Denvers. Uncle Vernon grunted and loosened his tie around his neck so that he wouldn't explode. Whole minutes seemed to pass in silence, but really only seconds passed before the next person spoke.

"It's a good thing to know." said Aunt Petunia with pursed lips as she returned to chopping carrots.

"Come on," began Harry, "Let's stay out of their way."

Lily despised how defeated Harry was at the Dursleys. They shouldn't have to live like they were freaks in the place they were supposed to be able to call home. She followed after him and bid them farewell with, "Have a nice evening."

As they ascended the carpeted staircase, conversation started in the kitchen again and Lily found herself rolling her eyes -- they seemed to think she and Harry were freaks. Now she knew he wasn't kidding when he said the Dursleys wished to be completely and utterly normal -- and despised the fact that they were not. They entered their bedroom, sat down on their individual beds and waited for the voices downstairs to cease. Harry was the first to break the silence.