Chapter 26

McGonagall handed Hermione her time turner. "You understand that you can tell no one about this and use it for nothing other than your classes."

"Yes, Professor. I promise." Hermione tucked the long necklace under her uniform and smiled up at her head of house.

"And remember not to change anything. You must not change the past."

"I won't Professor. I'll give it back to you at the end of the year as well."

"Good. Now, I need to speak with Harry, please wait outside for a minute."

"Yes, Professor."

"Harry, you can come in now." 

Harry entered, looking pale and slightly sweaty.

"Are you okay?" McGonagall asked him. Madame Pomphrey rushed in and began to check on Harry, much to his irritation.

"I'm fine, Mum, I promise!" He complained.

"Have you had chocolate?" The nurse asked briskly as she bustled around him.

"Yes, Professor Lupin gave me some."

"Good, at least he knows what he's doing..." Pomphrey muttered.

"Alright, let's go, Harry." McGonagall led him out of the room, picking Hermione up outside.

--------------------------

"Are we sure Black cannot get into the castle?" McGonagall insisted. They were having a staff meeting late that night, discussing possible problems the semester could bring.

"With the dementors and everyone else who's out there? I highly doubt it." Flitwick replied.

"You may be underestimating Black, Filius." Snape said slowly. "He is an evil, cunning, brutal madman. Who's to say he won't find a way in?"

Minerva noted that Severus seemed to still be holding a grudge from all those years ago. She'd assumed it would be there with Harry, but she had hoped he would put aside his hatred of the others as well. 

It seemed that the answer was no.

"He can't get past the dementors, they would have sucked out his happy memories in Azkaban, rendering him incapable of producing a Patronus. If he tried he'd be consumed by worms." Madame Hooch pointed out.

McGonagall noticed that Remus wasn't saying anything, choosing instead to stare at the table like it had wronged him and he could make it burst into flames.

"Sirius Black was an extremely competent wizard as a teenager, Rolanda, who's to say he hasn't retained some of that information?" Filius replied.

"Minerva, what is your opinion?" Albus suddenly asked. The teachers turned to her questioningly.

"Sirius was a smart boy, good at magic, although he usually didn't pay attention in classes. How he attempts to get into the school will depend on whether or not he actually has a wand in his possession. He was quite adept at transfiguration in school."

The room fell into an uneasy silence. If Black had a wand that meant he had killed someone to obtain it. If he could remember how to transfigure himself, there was no telling what they could be looking for. He may very well have been inside the castle already.

"We're positive he's after Mr. Potter, correct?" Charity Burbage, the Muggle Studies professor, asked.

"'He's at Hogwarts.'" Silvanus Kettleburn replied, tapping a finger on his good arm on the table. Some of the other professors shifted uneasily at the former Care of Magical Creatures' reminder of what Black had been saying in his sleep. "Who else could he be after? Mr. Potter did destroy his chances of ruling the world with You-Know-Who."

Minerva sighed. She knew what Harry would be in for this year. The professors would be watching him like hawks, and she had to admit that she would be joining in with that.

"Remus, what do you think?" She hadn't realized the conversation had started up again until someone addressed the new professor, who was still sulking, for lack of a better word.

"Sirius is fully capable of getting into the castle." Remus said flatly, not looking up. "Whether or not he'll get here before being spotted or reported is the real question."

"Well you would know, you were closest to him in grade school." Snape said. The Potions Master seemed to be trying to bait his former schoolmate for a fight, but Lupin was having no part of it.

"Severus if you are insinuating that I know the whereabouts of one of my former classmates and friends, I must disappoint you. I stopped associating myself with Sirius the moment I found out what he did to Lily and James."

"Ah but someone of your status-"

"This has nothing to do with Remus' status, Severus, do not bring it up." Minerva cut in sharply. "You'll be working with him for a year at least, put aside the petty schoolboy grudge and act your age."

If any of the other professors were surprised at her reprimand, they didn't show it. Snape was angry, she could tell, but he chose not to speak up again.

"Is that all we are discussing tonight, Albus?" 

"Yes, Minerva. Goodnight." Albus stood and walked out, followed by most of the professors. Snape threw McGonagall and Lupin a sneer as he left.

"Remus, if you ever need to talk about all of this, my office is open."

"Thank you, Pro-Minerva." He showed no intention of leaving, so Minerva stood and patted him lightly on the back before leaving him alone in the Staff room.

[A/N tada! In case you guys haven't noticed, I do have a system for updating. However, it isn't time dependent, it goes off of whichever I worked on before]