Chapter 10

There was a time I believed I would never set foot on Concave soil. I could not fathom such a thing. Yet here I am, sitting cross-legged on Ruben Chander's bed. My teeth creak as I clench my jaw, lips pressed in a tight line.

"Let's clean up your face," Ruben says, pushing himself off the bed and striding into the bathroom, returning with a cloth.

"I can do it," I say, reaching for the cloth. But he sinks into the corner of the bed and brings the cloth to my forehead himself. Wincing, I murmur, "Thank you."

He laughs and offers a small smile. "So, where did you get that sword?"

I bite my cheek. "It was my father's."

"How long have you trained with it?" He folds the cloth over and continues cleaning.

"Since I was ten years old," I say, allowing a smile to escape. "Well, my father helped me swing it when my mother wasn't around. But I could hold it on my own when I was ten."

Ruben chews his lip, considering me. "Have you killed anyone?"

My eyes widen as my heart suddenly quickens its pace. "Do you think I have?" I say, my mouth so dry I practically choke on the words.

"What? I mean, no. Relax, Elizabeth." He shakes his head then raises an eyebrow, grinning. "I guess I was just trying to figure out if I had a psychopath in my room plotting my murder?"

He chuckles and I blow out a nervous laugh. "Not yet, at least."

He laughs again, his cheeks flushing pink. "My mother taught me archery," he says, finishing with my forehead. "She taught me the way her father taught her. She told me he was a master, a useful skill after the former world collapsed."

"Where is your mother now?" I dare to ask, pulling my lower lip in between my teeth.

Something flashes across his light eyes, and his jaw tightens. He opens his mouth.

"Ruben!" someones yells. They thump the door and I jump. "Where the hell is that girl, Ruben?"

My blood runs cold, and my eyes widen. Doctor Hatchman. I stare at Ruben in horror as Hatchman tries to pry the door open, but fortunately, it's locked. "Let me in, boy!"

"Sir, I'm naked." Ruben lies and my jaw falls open.

"Oh, for God's sake, Ruben!" Hatchman barks through the door. I wildly glance around, darting into the bathroom, closing the door. "Didn't you get the memo? That girl has escaped twice. She escaped after you took her back!"

"I didn't realise, Sir. I will search for her now."

I crack the bathroom door and watch as Ruben stands up, and his eyes meet mine.

"Hurry the hell up with whoever you have in there and get searching! We have the palace on lockdown but still haven't found her. Once we do, she will receive severe punishment for her disobedience, and for finding the damn cavern."

Blood whirls past my ears to flood the silence in his wake. "Are you going to turn me in?"

"Are you stupid?" he fires back, brows furrowed. "I owe you. You need to get out of here."

"You'll get in trouble," I say, emerging from the bathroom.

"Honestly, it doesn't matter." He averts his eyes from me. "Here." He digs into his drawers and pulls out my clothes, tossing the bundle to me.

"How did you get these?"

"Again, doesn't matter, Elizabeth," he says, voice tight with impatience. "Hurry and put them on."