17 - "Kat is smoking hot."

Chapter 17 - "Kat is smoking hot."

Matt was the first thing I thought about when I woke up the next morning. The pain rushed back to me and I groaned, my eyes watering, as I buried my head under my pillow, as if that would block it out. I'd almost had a new outlook on the whole situation yesterday with Nathan, but now the pain had returned with a vengeance. I didn't want to go to school. I didn't want to see him. 

"Isobel? Are you up?" Mum shouted up the stairs.

How convincing would I be if I pretended to be ill? I'd never faked being ill before. In fact, I'd never really missed a day of school before, either, so she'd probably give me the benefit of the doubt... 

Seconds later, Mum swung open my door. "Come on, love. We're already running late and I've got an important meeting at nine."

I didn't want to mess her around with work or delay her even more, so I dragged myself out of bed and into the bathroom. In my sorry state, I couldn't eat breakfast; I could barely motivate myself to put make-up on. What was the point? 

As I was sliding my feet into my shoes, my phone rang. I already knew it would be Nathan. He was the only person who'd dare to ring me at this time in the morning. As well as that, though, I'd sort of expected him to be checking up on me.  He was proving himself to be that kind of person.

"What?" I asked glumly as I answered it, balancing the phone between my ear and my shoulder to free up both hands as I continued to pack my bag. 

"Morning to you, too, Bella."

"I don't wanna go to school."

"I thought you might say that. That's why I'm waiting outside your house, in my car, so that you feel obliged to come."

"Don't worry. I am actually coming."

"Ah, yes. I should have guessed, really. You don't have a rebellious bone in your body."

"I don't care about all that."

"Okay. What are you wearing?"

"What?" I frowned into the phone, despite him not being able to see me. "Does it matter? You'll see in five minutes."

"Yeah, just make sure you look hot, okay?" he replied. "Don't dress in boring clothes because you're in this state of mourning and don't see the point in looking good."

Exactly what I'd been thinking. 

"Well, what is the point? Who am I trying to impress?"

"You want to make Matt feel bad? Let him see what he's missing out on?"

I snorted. "No chance of that. Kat's way hotter than me, anyway."

"Hardly. I happen to think brunettes are sexier than blondes."

"Well, you're not Matt so what does it even matter?" I asked, unable to even appreciate the compliment in my bad mood. 

"I'm a guy. Take my advice and do as I say. If you look good, you'll feel good."

How could I feel good? I'd spent such a long time trying to ignore everyone who told me to break up with this guy, and now it had actually happened. All that denial for nothing. In fact, that denial had just ended up making this separation even harder. 

"I won't feel good."

"You'll feel better than if you don't look good," Nathan continued. "I know you've got this whole worthless attitude going on, which I can kinda understand to a certain extent, but you need to hold your head up high. Even though it bothers you, try not to let it show too much."