Chapter 31 - Present

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 31 – Present

“Hey you,” I said when I found Leon sitting on the old wooden bench facing Emma’s narrow makeshift garden filled with herbs, some periwinkles, pink cosmos and a row of rebellious hedges.

From inside the house I could hear Mom and Arthur deliberate about my trip. I thought about taking Becky with me. Absolutely, she would love to come.

“Hey birthday girl,” Leon took my hand and pulled me to his side; so close that I had to gasp for air from the start.

He leaned to kiss my forehead and gazed up the sky with a deep sigh.

“What’s wrong?” I asked struggling to keep the thrumming of my heart from my voice.

“If I could help it, I wouldn’t want to go to LA or anywhere else at all. Not to mention, drag you along with me,” he replied, eyes still fixed on the diamond-embedded stretch of dark velvety sky.

“Hmm… I don’t mind.” I fidgeted with my hands as my cheeks turned warm. As long as I’m with you, I wouldn’t mind. “Besides, it would be an adventure, and Becky would be… hysterical when she finds out tomorrow.”

Holding back a smile, he glanced at me through his lashes and I found my fingers tracing his brow. Looking into those crystal cerulean orbs was the best of all things in the world. He bent a little to kiss me; quick but affectionate as though he would remain like this forever. His lips were warm and soft against mine and I let myself get lost in the enthralling sensation. I closed my eyes, trembling a bit. I didn’t want it to end.

Breathe. I told myself when our lips parted but I was virtually perplexed by his mystifying smile and the lurid hurtling feeling inside my chest.

“Come, it’s time for your present.” He towed me out the lawn, into the pathway to the back yard, under the luxuriant spruce and birch trees. A friendly summer breeze swept through the shadowy branches, ruffling every flimsy leaf with a subtle touch.

“Wait! You already gave me a present, Leon.” I managed to blurt in between the panting as I strained to equal his quick-paced long strides.

His smile widened as we reached the kitchen window, a few feet away from the turn to the backyard.

“Those were just part of the plan. You didn’t really believe that I’d give you some stupid tickets for your birthday, did you?”

I could only answer with a wry smile then sighed. “I hope it isn’t the leaning tower of Pisa.”

He chuckled mellifluously. “Close your eyes.” He took a step back then held my shoulders.

I rolled my eyes. “Come on, Leon. This is just too much.”

“Sarah, just close your eyes, will you? You’re ruining the moment,” he gently whispered on my ear.

I jolted upright at the feel of his warm breath on my neck. Suddenly, I could not breathe even when I tried to. After closing my eyes, I heard Leon shuffle uneasily behind me as he carefully led me inside. With every step, the lush soft grass caressed my feet, a slight breeze carrying my hair.

“Two steps more,” he whispered again until I was greeted with a muffled rustling some several feet away with the fragrant smell of jasmine, orange blossoms and lavender. “Okay, now.”

I opened my eyes only to be mesmerized by the whole extravagance of what used to be Emma’s backyard. The whole grassy patch; every corner was adorned with blue and purple bouquets delicately assembled in clay pots to complement each other. There were lilac, lavender, violets, exotic butterfly orchids and a whole lot more wonderful variety that I had not seen before.

The ground where I stood was showered with white rose petals, rows of iris and white tulips lining every side of the path. Twinkling lights hung on tree branches like stars illuminating the breathtaking view. Suddenly, I was not in Kansas anymore, but in a meadow in some paradise created by the angel beside me.

My hand veered to my mouth in surprise. I had never seen anything like it in my entire life.

Leon stepped in front of me, holding a single stargazer in front of him and handed it to me. I took it with my trembling hands and touched the silky mauve petals, delicately speckled with a bright crimson.

Mist started to form around my eyes. A single tear ran down my face.

“Didn’t you like it?” Leon lifted my chin and traced where the tear rolled down on my check.

I shook my head with a smile and glanced at the magnificence in front of me. My heart was filled with joy and I could not seem to contain it.

“It’s... beautiful,” I whispered through the lump in my throat still admiring the spectacular sight. I turned to face him only to find his blue eyes gazing fondly at me as though he could never look at anything else.

“The most beautiful thing I have laid my eyes on,” he whispered back smiling as though he just won a million bucks.

More tears fell from my eyes and he kissed those away. Just then, I heard the faint rustling sound again, approaching, getting nearer. Then a soft tiny bark filled the air.

Leon’s eyes filled with anticipation as a furry brown little thing leaped into his arms. It was the most adorable thing I had ever seen; with beige and brown fur, a diamond shaped white patch on its forehead, its brown and black floppy ears pointed up with eagerness, its tail wagging with anticipation.

I touched the puppy and it jumped onto my arms with an excited tiny bark then licked my hand. The puppy wore a red leather collar. I flipped it and found his name engraved on the silver tag.

“Kidnap,” I read the name.

“Err… that’s the name Freddy gave him, but you could name him if you don’t like it.” He smiled wryly.

“Kidnap!” I called the puppy and he answered with an effervescent bark. I laughed. Leon just gazed at me with a smile. “No. I’m afraid it’s too late for that. Kidnap is a funny name though.”

“Yep. Freddy gives the weirdest names to his dogs. Kidnap’s Mom’s name is Shoelace. And his siblings were Homework, Seesaw and Tuesday.” He towed me to sit with him on a grassy mound bordered by white lilies, with Kidnap still in my arms. He snapped on the grass and pawed on the flowers.

“And let me guess, the father would be… Toothbrush.” I giggled at the thought.

Leon’s brows furrowed infinitesimally. “Actually it’s Freddy Junior,” Judging by the look on his face, I could tell he was not kidding.

“And who is this Freddy exactly?” I said, still laughing.

“He’s a friend of my Dad. Freddy taught me piano and guitar when I was younger.” He spoke with an air of pride and gratefulness, almost reminiscent.

“You must really like this Freddy,” I replied still watching Kidnap as he attacked the villainous lilies.

“Like a second father.”

“Do I get to meet him?” I said eagerly.

He smiled putting my head to his shoulder as we sat under the stars. “Sure. I’d love that.”

“Thanks, Leon. For everything.” I said with a smile trailing on my lips.

“Anything for you, princess.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG... It's been a long time since I updated. I know. I'm lazy. Sorry about that. But here it is and the next chapters are coming in a couple of days so please be patient. Please vote of you liked it or leave a comment :) It'd make me happy. I swear! Please help support if you love this story. I'd really appreciate it      xoxo~shim