Chapter 36

Not edited.

Jake was gone. He left 3 days ago. Brett arrived and seemed to fit in perfectly at Gabby's house. Aside from the awkward conversation upon his arrival. Brett also me Jake's gang and they seemed to get on well which was good. But, Gabby was either on a phone call or out of the house which mean't I couldn't really talk to her. I had no idea what was happening but I knew it was none of my business so I didn't ask about it. As for the cops, there was nothing else on Jake and the gang which was a good sign.

"So Brett what do you want to do today?" I asked as we sat across from each other eating pancakes for breakfast.

"I've waited 3 days for you to tell me about Austin" He announced, completely dismissing my question.

"There's actually nothing to say. We were two immature kids that dated" I shrugged but kept my attention on the pancakes as if they became the most interesting thing ever.

"Jake told me that you went out with him even though he told you Austin was bad news" I looked up as he said this.

"Why did he tell you? I don't mean to sound rude but.." I trailed off.

"I told both of you I was here for you" He finished his pancakes and set his plate to the side.

"Well like I said there's nothing to say" I shook my head, he obviously didn't look too convinced.

"What I don't get is, why you'd break up when you still have feelings for each other?" He asked. Ah, so he didn't know about Austin being hunted down.

"It's too dangerous for us to be together" I stood up and collected our plates so I could rinse them and put them in the dish washer.

"How?" He asked. He didn't get up from his spot but instead turned around in his seat so he could face me.

When I didn't say anything he spoke again. "Come on, what could be more dangerous than being in the Army?" He pried.

"Austin caused something, and now there are a lot of people that want him" I paused. "Dead"

Brett tried to hide his surprise but I noticed it due to the slight raise of his eyebrows. He didn't say anything for a moment. Once I had cleaned up the kitchen mess we made from cooking pancakes -Gabby did have cooks but I didn't bother them- I went back to sit across from Brett.

"What did he do?" Brett asked quietly.

"Gabby's sister" I paused. It always hurt to re-picture Gabby telling me about her sister's death. "Committed suicide because of him"

"What!" His eyes widened as he raised his voice.

"Because of that he's had a lot of people that loved Jean like their own, chase him" I nodded. It surprised me when Gabby said she would keep the secret of Austin and I, because her sister died because of him and I didn't expect it.

"How is he handling that? He'll have to move out of the country to help himself now, that's probably not even going to help him" Brett shook his head.

Could Austin escape his enemies by moving out of the country, unknown? It was a good idea but what about his family? his friends? his life in America? Where would he go? He was an 18 year old boy who got himself caught up in racing, fighting and dancing. I bet he would just mess up his life even more because he didn't have other people to tell him otherwise.

"He's gotten into a lot of fights, so he hasn't handled it very good"

"I want to meet him"

"No" I said immediately. It was a good thing we were staying at Gabby's so Brett wouldn't have to just cross the garden to get to Austin's front door. There was no way I was letting Brett meet Austin or Austin meet Brett.