Chapter 32 - The Decision

Author's Note - The above photo is Pirhana (actress Gugu Mbatha-Raw).

There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart. - Jane Austen

"What did you find?"

"Here's the thing... I'm not sure."

I stared at the wall in confusion. Why would she call me if she was not sure? I looked in Darcy's direction. He stepped towards me, concern lacing his handsome features. God, Pirhana had the worst timing.

"What do you mean?" I asked, "Are you alright?"

"You need to come back."

Her voice brought me no solace. There was anxiety in her speech. I had never experienced this with her. She was always so carefree. So upbeat and positive. A blithe spirit.

"We're home. We-"

"You need to come back," she emphasized the word, "now."

My brow furrowed, "Why the urgency? Tell me what you found."

"I don't understand it." I could picture her shaking her head, "You have to come here as quick as you can. You need to see it for yourself. Oh yeah, the library closes at five so, hurry up."

"Thanks for the heads up," I quipped.

"Anytime," she laughed. "See you soon. Actually, no," she paused for a beat, "see you right now."

Begrudgingly, I moaned, "Of course, right now."

"Yup," Pirhana said, a shade too bright, "Bye."

"Bye," I hung up.

I looked back at Darcy's letter. It would have to wait for now. Still, I found some relief in waiting. I had no answers. I loved him, and I reckon it was answer enough for most but, I wanted to be sure of everything.

What if going back to Pride and Prejudice would turn out to be a huge mistake? What if I would regret going back? What if there was no going back from my decision? There were so many questions and not enough answers. My brain was reeling from all these sentiments.

Sure, it was easy for Darcy to go home. Pride and Prejudice was all he knew. But, for me, it was not so simple. I had experienced both worlds. Both worlds were fantastic. Both worlds had their pros and cons. But, only one world had Darcy. And, only one world had my friends and family. I wanted to focus on something else, but, my mind kept going back to him. I did not wish to hurt him, and it pained me to think I would have to. God, I loved him so much. I just wanted to hole myself in my bedroom and bury myself underneath a blanket fort, curling up in a fetal position while bawling my eyes out. But, doing so would admit defeat, and I was not one to give up. This was a hard decision. It was a decision with the power to alter my life. Of course, I was scared to move forward.

"We have to go back," I said.

"Have you made a decision?"

"No, I meant we have to go back to the library." He nodded as I began to explain the situation. "Pirhana called. She said she found something."

"It sounds promising."

"I don't know if it's good or bad. She sounded urgent."

"Shall we leave?"

"Yes. I think we should. You've eaten, right?"

"Yes. However, I must request we never go to this McDonald's establishment ever again."

"Why?" I smirked, "You don't like it?"

"These," he read the box, "Chicken McNuggets cannot be real chicken."