Chapter Fourteen: Lamps Will Break; Hearts Will Ache

My immediate reaction after being told that I wasn't allowed seeing the man made for me was to just rip her head off. Two things stopped me, though.

One, as much as I may dislike her in the moment, she was my mother. I spent seventeen years wondering who my parents were and now that I found them, I want nothing to do with them. I felt torn. A part of me understood. She as well as every other werewolf hates shredders, and that's exactly what they are. On the other hand, all that I know is how to act like them, so-in a sense-I'm a shredder, too. Only difference is, I'm the daughter-or rather sister, now- to the Alpha of this pack.

Two, I was more worried of the damage this woman could do to me rather than what I could do to her.

My wolf must have been a bit torn as well because she didn't seem to have an opinion. I suppose we were on the page for once.

"You can't actually stop me from seeing him," I argued speaking lowly. I stared her in the eye seeing a slight flash on pain and pity through her.

"They're monsters, Grey," she countered making me groan out loud.

"My name is Arden, and those monsters just happen to be the family I never had," I snapped. She sighed and crossed her arms. She began pacing the room in front of me as I sat on the floor. I tried tugging apart the cuffs, but they just ended up scratching at my skin.

"Okay Arden, let's make a deal," she offered. She sounded sincere, but something about the glint in her icy blue eyes told me otherwise. But me being me decided to take the risk.

"Fine." She smiled knowing she had already won. I'd do anything to go back down there and make sure Kieran were okay.

"You come with me. Get to know some of the pack, your family, explore the pack houses without any incidents, and, in return, I'll see if I can get Jale and your father to agree on allowing you to see them," Alex said making my wolf stir a bit. Hearing her start to stir, I figured she was happy about the deal, but I was wrong.

Continuous barks sounded through my head making me flinch and shut my eyes tightly.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked. I opened my eyes and nodded still in pain from my obnoxious wolf.

"If I'm going to make some friends, I'd rather do it without these," I said pulling my wrists away from each other making the cuffs rattle. An astonishing smile spread across my mother's face as she looked at me.

"I have a better idea."

Alex wasn't really the mother daughter time. You could tell how not in her element she was. At least she was nice enough to take the cuffs off.

She took me through the house, but not to mingle. She took me to a room. I didn't ask where we were going. I just looked around me at everyone staring. It annoyed me a lot.

When we finally got to our destination we were standing face to face with a light, oak door. It looked fancy and expensive. The knob looked brand new like no one had been inside for years.

"You wanted me to see a door?" I asked feeling a bit of my anger from earlier. She rolled her eyes and grabbed the doorknob.

"No. I want you to see your room," she said and pushed the door open.

My jaw dropped and I had to mentally tell myself that I was not insane. My heart was pounding and my eyes grew seven sizes. I didn't wait for Alex to tell me to go in. Instead, I walked right into the center of the room.

It was all the same.

The crib, the walls, the mirror, everything from my dream was the same. I blinked a few times. My eyes searched around the room for what felt like minutes.