Prologue

Albus Dumbledore sat across from a very red faced witch, "Albus you cannot honestly expect me to do this!" she shouted as she once again started to pace. "I said I was through with this after the Marauders left Hogwarts!"

Albus' eyes did not twinkle as they usually did; he knew he was asking a lot of the woman pacing before him but it had to be done. "I'm sorry my dear but this has to be done; it is fate," Albus replied gently. His calming tone only managed to infuriate the woman further.

"Fate? Fate! Don't talk to me about fate Albus Dumbledore for I know it better than most. I have done all that has ever been asked of me and I want a normal life!" she screamed as her magic crackled in the air. Albus knew he had to calm her; her magic was still unstable at the best of times.

"It had been agreed that after this task you will be set free to live the life you deserve; but my dear this will not happen unless a sacrifice is made." Albus almost sighed in relief when the magic dissipated from the air as the witch calmed herself.

"You promise I will be set free once all this is finished?" she asked uncertainly and Albus could see the hope in her eyes as she stared at him.

"I promise," he replied simply and watched as she handed him her wand so that he may keep it safe.

"You know what to do Albus," she whispered as she stood before him.

Although Albus knew that this was always going to play out this way he still felt a tear slip from his eye as he pointed his wand at the witch. She smiled to him gently as she gave him a gentle nod.

Albus' eyes grew solemn as he felt his magic expand the room, "Avada Kedavra."

He watched as her body crumbled to the ground and the heavens chose that moment to open up. As the rain beat harshly against his window Albus watched the body before him burst into flames before nothing was left but ash.

  As the rain beat harshly against his window Albus watched the body before him burst into flames before nothing was left but ash