09 | A Familiar Face

"We're falling apart and coming together again and again."

Happy birthday, Marissa. Have a good one :) Hope you're doing fine still.

- Alex

I stared at the message on my phone blankly, my lips smoothing into a smile that reached my ears.

"What?" Yuko grumbled from behind the wheel. I looked up at him, my eyes shining with happy tears. He blinked, "What's wrong?"

"Alex just texted me," I whispered, still wonder struck. Yuko raised an eyebrow, the worry fading into what seemed like genuine happiness.

"Tell her I said hi," he said softly, before focusing on the road again. This time, he had a small smile on his face.

Thank you, Alex! Hope you're alright, too. Yuko says 'Hi'.

Tell him I said hi, too. I miss you both.

We miss you, too. Please come back.

I'm sorry. I can't.

And just like that, my good mood vanished. Instead, the phone in my hand trembled and I shut it off. Letting out a tired sigh, I leaned my head against the head rest. I should've known that that would be her reply.

"Don't be sad," Yuko said quietly, his eyes never leaving the road. I glanced at him, before casting my eyes out of the window.

"It's hard not to be," I murmured.

"Do you and your friends...," I trailed off, casting him a curious glance. Yuko laughed shortly, and nodded his head.

"We do. So much."

"How's...how's Robin holding up?" I asked, staring at my hands. Out of everyone, he must've taken the blow the hardest. Up till today, I never knew why he broke up with her. But I knew he loved her still. I could see it in his eyes. Speaking of the leader of the Royals, it's been awhile since I've seen him in person. Sure, I've heard of him, like always, but he hasn't showed up in school for almost a week now. I furrowed my eyebrows, a strange feeling of worry growing in my chest.

"He's been...better," Yuko said, involuntarily grimacing. When he opened his eyes again, they were clouded with sadness and worry. My lips pulled into a frown, and hesitantly, I reached over to pay his shoulder.

"He'll be okay," I said softly. Yuko nodded, the worry never ceasing from his eyes.

"Let's hope so."

-

After he dropped me off at the theme park parking lot, he waved goodbye before rushing off to wherever he had to go.

"Thanks for letting me take you out," he had said. "I hope you enjoyed your time with me."

Of course I did, I thought silently. More than I care to admit.

Shaking my head, I made my way to my car, where I sat idle for a few minutes. Staring blankly at the empty road in front of me, I turned on the engine and drove my way to the hospital.

It wouldn't hurt to check up on Mason again.

It wasn't long until I pulled into the familiar desolate hospital parking lot. As usual, the lots nearest to the hospital were occupied fully. As it was the late afternoon, it remained relatively empty.