Chapter 84

It was almost ironic that it was sunny.

"The weather can't even let me grieve in peace." I mumbled, nose crinkling up and eyes squinting against the sun. Draco chuckled quietly from where he stood beside me, hand laced tightly with mine.

"Snape lived too much of his life in the dark. Perhaps it's justice that his death should be shone in light." He said thoughtfully, and considering this I nodded, letting out a deep sigh as I moved to rest my head on his shoulder.

"I'm just glad you're here."

"Well, it would've been a very small funeral had I not," Draco chimed, then added in a more reserved tone, "and I owe it to Snape."

"I'm pretty sure we all owe something to the bastard." Theo said from my other side. He winced when I elbowed him, and he looked rather put out as he sighed. "Well, it's true."

"It's his funeral. Have some respect." I murmured, looking back to the gravestone that had been freshly planted. The lot I had chosen was a small graveyard, a few miles outside of Hogsmeade. It was an area relatively unpopulated by wizards, had many trees surrounding the property, and a sense of peaceful angst that seemed fitting, especially with the sunset just starting at the horizon.

Severus Snape

'A brave man, a great hero, a beloved friend'

January 9th, 1960 - May 2nd, 1998

I stood there silently, mulling around the different emotions in my head. I felt no need to speak; I had already said all my goodbyes, and speaking now would only open up old wounds that didn't need to bleed.

But while I didn't feel the need to speak, that didn't mean the same for everyone else.

"Snape was the closest thing I've had to extended family. He was around a lot when I was younger, and was always hovering around like a bat with begrudging offers of help- even when I was a little shit and pushed him away." Draco said tightly. "He was a great wizard, a brave man. And I hope, if it was ever possible, that he finally found some peace."

I squeezed Draco's hand gently. The silence rested for a moment.

"Snape loved my mother, and my cousin. And he protected me." Harry said in a somewhat awkward fashion, hands shoved into his pockets. He had insisted on coming, but had remained rather quiet up until now. "I'd probably be dead ten times over if it weren't for him, and the war would've been much harder to win without him. He'll be remembered as a hero."

My smile was gentle as I regarded my cousin with a small nod, and he managed a weak smile at me before he turned his back, heading towards the entry way of the small graveyard and leaving the four of us to ourselves. I was surprised when Blaise stepped forward, something shiny held in the palm of his hand; a galleon.

"Even if I tried for years, I would never fully be able to pay Severus Snape back for what he's taught me. But all I have to offer is a galleon, and the promise to pass on the knowledge given." He said, kneeling down to carefully deposit the galleon into the freshly turned ground. Then he rose up and turned, heading back towards the graveyard entrance. Theo and Luna were quick to follow afterwards after quiet sentiments of their own, the cracks of apparition sounding in the distance. And then it was just Draco and me.

"You alright?" He asked after a minute had passed; when I managed a small nod, he nodded towards the entrance. "We can head back to town, if you like."

"That sounds good." I said, letting out a heavy sigh as I leant into him. "It just feels unfinished, standing here. I know he's gone, and I've said my goodbyes, and the gravestone is placed, but I just feel..."