6th | Carnations & Daisies

It was noon.

Felix preferred to call it ad meridiem, primarily because Latin phrases had boost girls' impressions on him, or so he claimed. In fact, more than half of the techniques he professed to have worked on females had been proven to be fallacies.

The streets were usually the most populated around noon, as was our shop. As Mothers' Day drew near, many sons and daughters had approached us to seek for their mothers' favourite flowers. Mercifully, Lara and her husband had offered to lend their helping hand, so I could focus on floral arrangements during the day. Although Damian had mentioned coming to the shop today, he was nowhere to be found.

"Ally, keep your eyes on your scissors." Felix came over when I was cutting stems.

"Go back to work, Felix." I frowned at him. "Take care of the customers."

"I'm just looking out for you, sis." He placed his palms on his hips.

I grinned at him. "Aw... Thank you very much."

"Whatever." He rolled his eyes. "Anyways, who are you looking for?"

I shot him a puzzled look. "I'm sorry?"

"You kept staring at the front entrance." He switched his glances between me and the doors. "Is there somebody you're expecting?"

"Yeah, I'm finding Nemo." I went back to snipping flowers.

"You're not searching for a fictional fish." He didn't leave me alone. "Oh, here comes the signature blush..."

"I don't have a signature blush."

"Apparently, you do." He punched his fists into the air. "I knew it's Damian!"

"Your assumptions are ridiculous." I shook my head in disapproval.

"Damian is not coming today, sis." He snubbed me. "He has other plans."

I lifted my head. "What? How did you know that?"

"He told me." Felix grinned proudly at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "But why didn't he tell me?"

"Aha! You care about him." Felix's smile grew wider. "Are you jealous of our friendship, Ally?"

I crossed my arms. "Why would I be jealous?"

"Your facial expressions gave it all away."

"Well, if that is the case," I raised my eyebrow, "I believe it's time to get you some glasses."

"No thanks. Just because you need them doesn't mean that I do."

"Short-sightedness can be genetic."

"Not necessarily." Felix pointed at me. "Oi, don't you change the topic! You can't hide your crush on Damian from me."

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "Felix, you can't jump to conclusions like that."

"Oh yeah?" Felix stared at me. "Then just who were you looking for?"

I took a brief look at the glass doors without turning my head, hoping that the next person entering the shop would be someone I knew. In the nick of time, I noticed a wheelchair coming through.

"I was... looking for Caroline and Jeffrey." I cleared my throat. "They come in every week for carnations. Don't you remember?"

"Sure..." He nodded at me, but clearly unconvinced.

"Now if you excuse me," I pushed him out of my way. "I need to tend to our two loyal customers."

"Of course!" He gave me a thumbs-up. "It is healthy to distract yourself from your crush from time to time."