8th | Lavenders & Daffodils

I was checking the flowers when Felix called me from the opposite side of the shop.

"Ally, can you pass me a pair of scissors?"

"Okay."

"Can you hand over the tape as well?"

"Sure."

"Ally, are you actually fetching items for me?" He questioned and frowned at me.

"Yes," I responded by mimicking his facial expression. "Why do you ask?"

"You've never done that before." He stared at me as if I was a lab rat.

I shrugged. "There's always a first time for everything."

"What has happened to you?" He tilted his head. "Where is your bossy attitude?"

"Oh, bossy." I crossed my arms. "Is that how you think of me?"

"No... you're missing the point."

"What, genius?"

"The point is you've been acting differently." Felix spread his arms to explain. "You've started splitting deliveries between us; you've begun discount campaigns for the shop; you've opened up to receiving more help from your friends; and you've stopped watching over my alcohol habits."

I twitched my eyebrow upwards. "Does that mean you're drinking again?"

"Are you serious, Ally?" He looked at me with a deadpanned expression. "You'd know if I drank."

"I'm just messing with you." I laughed. "I know what you're intending to say, but what's wrong with a few changes?"

"I don't mind them." He scratched his neck. "I'm just curious what induced those tweaks in you."

I shook my head. "Well, I don't know either."

"Could it be a sign that you're finally moving on from Brett?" He rubbed his chin.

"I honestly have no idea. Why are you interpreting my behaviour?" I placed the tapes and scissors on the table in front of him. "What about this - tell me why you're perpetually single."

"Simple." He leaned back on his chair in a relaxed manner. "All of the girls who I'm interested in are out of my league."

I sighed. "You know what's the one wrong thing we all do when we fall in love?"

"We expect." He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I know. Don't quote Dickens on me."

I pointed at his nose. "You really should carry less expectations."

He snorted. "Tell that to the girls, not me."

When I made my way to the cashier, the automatic glass doors slid open. Stepping through the entrance was a little girl, about five or six of age judging from her bright, round eyes. Her golden brown locks fluttered when she turned her head and noticed me.

"Hello!" I kept my voice gentle when I greeted her. "Why are you here?"

"My uncle told me to wait here."

"Oh, your uncle?" I echoed when I knelt next to her.

"Yes..." She muttered and twiddled with her fingers. "He said I can find a beautiful lady who is surrounded by flowers."

"I suppose he's right." I patted her head. "What's your name?"

"Ginny." She looked up at me timidly. "Are you Ally?"

"I am." I nodded.

She took a small step towards me and asked a queer question. "Can I tell you a secret?"