Chapter Fourteen

Alana made sure to keep a lengthy distance between her and the Norman cur trailing behind her. Her lips were still swollen from his kisses and her thigh seemed to burn from where his hand had touched her. She was finding it extremely difficult to remind herself that he was her enemy.

As they neared camp Nettie's screams shattered her resolve and she split into a run, heedless of the man behind her.

When she burst into the clearing, she took in the man, who earlier had watched Nettie with an unusual leer, struggling to maintain a fruitless grip on her cousin.

She noticed the remaining two Normans, the scarred warrior and the other with an amused expression, merely watched in vain, neither willing to assist their companion.

When the Norman made no move to release Nettie, Alana started forward but a large, callused hand grabbed her arm, stopping her. She started to jerk from his grip but his fingers tightened.

"Let her go, Gavin." He commanded, and just like that, the blond-haired warrior released Nettie and stepped away.

When Alana attempted to step toward her cousin, the hand on her arm stayed her and she cast a dark, meaningful look up at him but his amber eyes rested on Nettie with indifference as he said, "Whatever the reason behind your fears, girl, you may be well rest-assured that my men and I have no intention of harming you or your cousin but if you attempt to run again, I shan't be lenient."

Fallon was stunned to see an intensity of anger flare in the flaxen-haired eyes when all along he had thought her meek and a trembling sort. "Do we have an understanding?"

"Mayhap you should order your men to keep their hands to themselves?" Alana snapped, drawing his attention. "She doesn't like to be manhandled."

His temper rising, he turned to fully face the spirited beauty that sparked a fire within him. Even now with her staring angrily up at him with those sea-green eyes and tendrils of flamed-hair framing her face, seem to kindle his desire.

"She's going to be manhandled if she struggles. My men have not harmed her, but if she insists on running then that leaves us little choice but to drag her forcefully back to camp-" pausing he peered mindfully at Alana's cousin and than Gavin, "-I have it in mind that for the remainder of this journey, your cousin is now Gavin's liability."

Alana opened her mouth to protest but the Norman was quick to cut her off. "I will hear no objections. You two have caused enough trouble for the night and I wish to make it to Linden in peace."

"Please, Sir-" Alana was startled when Nettie spoke up for her cousin had barely uttered a word since leaving Lechmere keep. "-I will not attempt to run again. I am merely frightened-"

"And you would leave your cousin to fend alone if we are such barbarians?" Fallon growled.

"I do not fault her for running." Alana was quick to say and she truly didn't but the sudden look of guilt on her cousin's face was clear-cut.

Alana noticed the fire seem to reflect in those golden-amber eyes and for a moment he appeared unworldly.

"Ranulf-" Fallon shifted his attention to the giant, scarred warrior. "-you will take next watch. Gavin, you and the woman will take position by that boulder to rest and if necessary, tie her ankle to yours." He said this lastly with a hint of warning.