Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Axel's POV

"What the fuck is my mate doing in your bed?" I snarled as I slammed the door open.

Jayy turned from where he sat, doing his homework at his desk to raise an eyebrow at me.

I stared at him, fuming. When it became evident I was—impatiently—waiting for a response, he sighed.

"Sleeping," he deadpanned.

"I can fucking see that!" I scowled angrily. "Why is he sleeping in your bed?"

"He's tired."

"THAT'S NOT—"

"Shh," he hushed me. "You'll wake him up."

I ground my teeth as I stood in the doorway, glaring at him. Jayy turned back to his homework, pissing me off even further. How dare he? He was never disrespectful when it came to anything wolf related, so the fact that he was brushing me off meant he thought I was overreacting. I was fucking not! My mate was in his bed!

Van came up behind me, ducking under my outstretched arm to get in. Jayy glanced at him, displeased, but let him enter without saying anything.

"Calm down," Van whispered at me, rolling his eyes. "You know I told him to distract Oliver for a bit. He's just sleeping. It's not like they were having wild, kinky sex in here."

"THEY BETTER NOT HAVE—"

"Hey, what are you doing here?" James joined us. "Why is Axel yelling—Aw, is Oliver napping? That's adorable!"

My head whipped around to face him. "He's mine," I scowled at him.

"Yes, yes, Axel," James placated, much quieter now that he saw Oliver was asleep, patting my arm and giving me a pitying look. "We know, he's your mate." I tried not to punch him.

Van wrinkled his nose, and he placed a hand on the inside of my wrist to touch the scent gland there. His scent rose, the calming pheromones making my fist relax from where they were balled up, ready to beat Jayy up. "Just take him to your room if you're that jealous. But shut up, you're gonna wake him."

Jayy gave Van a restrained dirty look. He definitely didn't like Van spreading his scent around his little cavern, and I almost pitied him. It was definitely uncomfortable having other wolves' smell around your special place, the nest where you were gonna house and protect your mate. 

But then I remembered that Oliver's scent was now in Jayy's room, on his sheets, in his bed. If Van hadn't been diffusing my anger, I would have thrown Jayy out the window.

Instead, I just ripped my hand away from Van's and stormed over to where my mate was sleeping in another person's nest. God, I never wanted to hurt someone so bad.

But my anger dissipated when I saw Oliver. He was passed out, his phone on the bed beside his face, and shit. James was right, he did look cute. I liked him like this, relaxed, his guard down. It was precious and heartwarming.

The only thing I didn't like about this scene was that it wasn't my bed he was sleeping in.

Oliver's features were smoothed out, his lips parted ever so slightly as he inhaled softly. Vaguely, I was glad to find out that my mate didn't snore. He wasn't exactly tiny, but on Jayy's large bed—made extra long to accommodate for his wolf body—he looked so small, curled up like that. 

Alex felt the same. He didn't speak, but I felt the instinctual desire running through the both of us, so strong it nearly brought me to my knees. Protect him. Protect this innocence and softness.