Chapter 17

**Maddie's POV**

"I can't believe you're in your second year and you've already gotten suspended," I tell Ginny, sitting down on her bed. She rolls her eyes.
"Don't be disappointed in me too," she sighs.
"I'm disappointed that you got caught," I tell her, "I've not problem with you hexing Slytherines... Infact," I grin, "I encourage it."
Ginny laughs at me.
"You're a terrible prefect," she says.
"Ha! I modified my badge," I tell her, pulling it out of my pocket, "I think that's more appropriate."
"Perfect!" she laughs, "that cool. So, why are you here, anyway? You're not sick."
"Boy trouble," I reply, leaning against the wall.
"With George and Oliver?" she asks.
"Yep, and I'm not going to ask how you know that," I tell her with a laugh.
"It's obvious that they both like you," she tells me, "but which one do you like?"
I shake my head.
"I like both of them," I reply.
"Which do you like more?"
I think about it and shrug. Ginny sighs.
"Which could you live with?"
"George," I reply instantly.
"There you go," Ginny says. I grin at her.
"You knew I'd say that," I laugh. She smiles and shrugs.
"I hoped," she says, "I'd love you as a sister."
"Whoa! I'm not marrying him!" I chuckle.
"I can hope," she says.
The first day of the holidays is my birthday (Hooray!). I wake up and stretch. Odie is sitting on the window sill with a letter. It's from Fred and as I read the hope of having a 'Happy Birthday' seems less and less. Apparently Oliver and George have been fighting even more and Oliver has threatened to throw both George and Fred off the Quidditch team.
I sigh and brush my fingers through my blonde hair- Wait. I freeze. My hair is blonde.
I run upstairs to the bathroom and look in the mirror. My hair is so blonde it's almost white, my eyes are blue and my skin is pale.
I scream.
"What's wrong?" Ginny asks, running in, "wow, cool!"
"Maddie dear- Oh!" Mrs Weasley freezes, "you've dyed your hair."
"No!" I squeal, "I woke up and it was like this! My eyes are blue!"
"Oh, dear," Mrs Weasley looks very concerned, "well, umm, dear, we're going to pick up the others from Kings Cross later, perhaps you could stay here?"
"No, that's okay," I reply, "maybe Uncle Remus will know what's going on."
At King's Cross I wait nervously for the Hogwarts Express. Will Oliver be here? What will George do? What will they say when they see me?
"Here it comes!" Ginny says, bouncing around. I nervously brush my hair back with my fingers.
"They're tactful," Ginny says, "they won't say anything rude!"
"Oh my God!" Fred and George cry when they see me. I promptly burst into tears - what is with me lately?
"Oh, you two!" Mrs Weasley scolds. I hurry off, wiping my eyes to find Remus.
"Ma- Oh!" he looks startled and almost... Guilty?
"Explain," I say, sitting down. He sits down opposite me.
"Happy birthday," he says, picking up a strand of my hair.
"So far, there's been nothing happy about it," I scowl, "what is this?"
"Well, I think this is because of Nymphadora," Remus says.
"Who?"
"Your father's cousin," he says, "she can change her appearance at will. Usually it's a born gift, but it can emerge at later ages."
"I didn't want to look like this!" I protest.
"When it's not a born gift it usually reflects your emotions," he explains, "you'll learn to control it."
"How long will it take?" I ask. He frowns.
"For minor emotional changes, a matter of days," he says, "for major ones, it could take a couple of years."
I groan loudly.
"But you can change it now," he says, "just focus on how you want to look. The change will only occur with the emotion change, it won't last with the emotion."
I close my eyes and focus on how I used to look. I open my eyes. Remus shakes his head. I sigh and try again, focusing first on my hair, then my eyes, then my skin.
"There we go," Remus says. I look in the mirror and smile with relief. I'm me again.
We get off the train and join the Weasleys, Harry and Hermione.
"Back to normal," Mrs Weasley smiles. I nod happily.
"You looked hot as a blonde," George mutters. I punch him on the arm.
"I'll see you after Christmas," Remus says, "oh, I almost forgot!"
He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small box.
"This was your mothers," he says softly, "she would have wanted you to have it. It'll tell you how your true love is feeling."
I open the box and find a small heart on a golden chain. I slip it around my neck.
"Thank you," I say, hugging Remus.
"Happy birthday," he whispers.

After Dinner we - Fred, George, Ginny, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Charlie and I - sit around in the living room.
"Can we play Truth?" Ginny asks, leaning against Charlie.
"Sure," Charlie says, ruffling her hair, "you start."
"Hang on," Fred pulls a bottle out of his pocket, "truth serum, a gift from Snape."
We pass it around, each taking a sip.
"Ron, who do you think is the prettiest girl in your year?" Ginny asks.
"Lavendar," Ron says, his ears turning red. George wolf-whistles.
"Fred, who's the best looking girl at Hogwarts?" Ron asks.
"Maddie, by far!" Fred says with a laugh. I throw a pillow at him.
"Charlie, who was your first kiss?" Fred asks. Charlie blushes and looks at me. I look at the ceiling.
"Maddie," he says, blushing furiously.
"WHAT?" Fred, George, Ron and Ginny explode.
"You remember the first time Maddie stayed here and we broke into the firewhiskey?" Charlie says with a chuckle, "well... yeah..."
I glance at George and see that he's laughing. Phew.
"Harry, ever kissed a girl?"
"Nope."
"Boring!" I laugh. Harry grins.
"Hermione, best looking Gryffindorguy in our year."
"Dean," she says with a blush. I giggle and throw her a wink, making her blush even more.
"Ginny, who's your favourite teacher?"
"Lupin," Ginny replies, then she turns to me.
"Maddie," she says and I feel a sense of foreboding, "Oliver or George?"
I feel all eyes on my and I blush.
"George," I reply, "I'm completely in love with him!"
I cover my mouth, shocked. Everyone else stares at me before something clicks in Charlie's mind.
"Bed!" he says, jumping up, "come on you lot!"
He ushers Ginny, Ron, Harry and Hermione out. Fred follows, shooting George a wink at the door. I look over at him. He looks just as shocked as me.
"I'd question that, but you can't lie," he says, "stuff it, you love me?"
"Apparently," I reply, "I guess I always thought it was a best-friend feeling, even though it felt so different to how I feel about Fred."
He moves over to sit beside me.
"I have no idea what I'm doing," he says, laughing.
"Me neither," I giggle.
"So, umm, will you be my girlfriend? Is that what I'm meant to ask?"
"I don't know, but, yes," I laugh. George grins and kisses me softly.
"Now we just have to deal with Oliver."