religion

you spit this sermon of red teeth and glittering jaws and glistening skin and blood - always blood. you gather lives in the palm of your hand and squeeze until nothing is left, until bones grate upon skin and life no longer beats in lungs and graveyards litter the fields - but that is okay because you are blessed by GOD himself, because even though these are children he has made and crafted, the very same children who lay broken beneath you, because they do not look the same as you, because do they worship the same GOD as you, because it is always easier to blame a person who exists only in a holy sense.

you take the name of heaven and you slaughter it and splash it red with maniacal glee because you are doing this in the name of GOD; therefore you must be right. you are so sure of yourself, of the power you think you invest by using a name doesn't belong to anyone, of the way you think you are winning. that little number by your name is growing so big it cannot be contained by the hundreds. the bodies that lay beneath your fingers, mangled and broken, keep growing. and then it catches up to you. the killing, i mean.

you start to use your GOD as an excuse to continue pilfering and stealing and plundering - you think no one is keeping score, that no one dares to, because interfering with you means interfering with the word of GOD, but trust me when i say the only person who keeps count is the only one who matters. no one dares ask what they are all thinking.

what kind of GOD allows his people, the very ones he had crafted from scratch so lovingly, to be massacred in his name? what kind of GOD are you serving? are you even serving his wishes at all, hiding behind GOD and invoking his name when it benefits you?

scared yet? good. ready to repent? don't tell it to me, you sacrilegious fool.

tell that to the thousands buried deep beneath the earth, dead. tell that to the mothers whose sons you have killed, the daughters whose fathers have been murdered, tell that to the towns that you have desecrated. tell that to the people you have destroyed from existence.

i ask this of you: when the time comes, will your GOD come to back you up?