Chapter 1 - Lucky Guess.

Lennon. (Lennon is a girl, yes girls are called Lennon)

Early morning shifts on Monday’s should not exist – I don’t care who you are, if you disagree you are crazy. It’s not that I wanted to stay in bed all day but the shrilling noise of my alarm clock in my ear at quarter past five was enough to make me rethink my life choices. I squeezed my eyes tightly shut, grasping the last ounce of rest I could conjure up. The sudden banging on the wall snapped my eyes wide open again. I was staring into complete darkness. I waved my arm around, looking for the alarm clock before I slammed my hand down on the snooze button. Dom, one of my housemates eventually finished denting his bedroom wall and was probably already asleep again – lucky him.

I sat up properly, letting out an exasperated yawn before I dwindled my way across my room to the light switch. The light hit every corner of the room, causing me to squint my eyes from the brightness. I had been meaning to invest in the energy saving light bulbs but my mind was always elsewhere. 

The alarm clock sprung to life again, playing its repeated melody for all to hear. This time I lurched towards it and flicked it off completely before it woke Dom up again. He wasn’t a morning person, he wasn’t an afternoon, evening or night-time person for that matter, he was just Dom. 

My room was still a complete mess, but I was hardly expecting the fairies to come and clean up after me. Unfortunately in reality mythical creatures are only mythical. I waded through stacks of books and papers as I trailed into the bathroom. Reading and writing are the two things that keep me sane. I could open my own library with the amount of books I owned. 

I tightened the towel around my body as I re-entered my room. I cursed several times in the shower when the lack of hot water was apparent. The cold, wet hair stuck to the back of my head and neck sent shivers cascading all over my body. I pulled my work outfit from its crumpled pile on the floor and shimmied into it. My black jeans needed a wash but they would only be coated in my flour again, they could last another day or two. My white t-shirt was the same, it had the odd icing stain but nothing creating a health and safety hazard. 

After I finished getting ready I stumbled tiredly down the stairs, trying to avoid waking the rest of the house. Dom could be moody in the morning but he was nothing compared to Emma or Jason, the modern day Ariel and Eric – I had told her she wasn’t in fact a mermaid which led to a three day argument. So from now on, they are a real life fairy tale, apparently

I scowled when I pulled open the breakfast cupboard and was greeted with an empty box of coco pops. My name was scrawled across the box in permanent marker but obviously that didn’t matter. I didn’t have to second-guess who it was; Jason. It wasn’t that I hated him; I just didn’t like him, one bit. I sighed angrily as I threw the box in the bin and helped myself to his girlfriend’s box of cornflakes. I coated them in cinnamon since we were also all out of sugar. The food bought every week has a very good way of disappearing into the depths of a black hole to never been seen again. I was just thankful no one had drunk any of my orange juice, which was still unopened in the fridge. 

The TV flickered with pictures of the latest train crash in Europe. It seemed like nothing in the world was going well at the moment. I gulped down the rest of my juice before placing the dishes in the dishwasher. I sat up on the bar stool I had previously occupied and tied my worn out black converse around my feet. The laces were barely in tact, falling apart in several places but new converses just didn’t look right to me. 

Glancing down at my watch I knew I couldn’t waste anymore time before I would end up being late. I yawned again whilst pulling on a coat and grabbing my bag. I frowned at my appearance in the mirror, not because I hated the way I looked but because I had an unruly piece of hair refusing to stay down. It was stuck up, acting like a fin on the very top of my head. I groaned when it bounced up again, I eventually gave up and shoved a hairgrip on it, forcing it down.