Chapter 32 - Friday

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 32 – Friday

Kidnap paced the floor inside my room, wagging his tail and looking at me from time to time as I waited for Becky to come by. I stared at my luggage. There were butterflies in my stomach all morning and I know it was not about the things I should have brought but forgot.

“Sarah, they’re here.” Mom’s head protruded through the narrow opening of my door. “Is this everything?” she asked as we carried the bags down the stairs.

“Yep. I think so,” I replied as Kidnap darted down the stairs past us and jumped on Leon who stood waiting at the living room with Becky. My best friend screamed excitedly as soon as I came into view and waltzed her way to greet me with a suffocating hug.

“Sarah! This is it! I am so excited!” Her blond head bounced in enthusiasm, shrieking as she did.

I could not help but smile at her. “It’s kind of obvious, Becky.”

“Let’s go,” Leon beckoned us with Kidnap still on his arms, tail wagging, and tongue hanging lopsidedly.

“Are you taking him with us?” I said almost incredulously.

“Why? You wanted to leave him?” He smiled as he set Kidnap on the floor.

My eyes shifted between him and Mom. I did not like the idea of leaving the poor puppy with Emma. She wasn’t really a dog person.

Mom cocked her red-gold head and frowned. “What’s the big deal? I’m fully capable of taking care of him,” she muttered rather defensively.

I shrugged, gave Mom a wry smile. “Sorry Mom.” Then I turned to Leon. “But wouldn’t that be a problem?”

“Trust me.” Leon smirked.

“Take care, kids,” Mom said as she checked on us through the car window. “Remember my conditions—“

“I’ll call you as soon as we get there, then thrice a day, every day and I’ll never go anywhere without Arthur,” I recited for the twenty sixth time. “Got it, Mom.”

Emma nodded and I kissed her goodbye. It looked like she was going to cry so I motioned for Arthur to step on it.

Kidnap hopped onto my lap and stood on his hind legs to stick his brown head out the window. Leon squeezed my hand and smiled at me. That was enough reassurance for me.

Becky kept talking energetically about the places we should go to and the things we should do all the way to the airport. I kept nodding though I was not really sure what she was talking about. Leon just shook his head as he held back a smile.

“Sorry, she’s really excited about this,” I whispered when Becky started talking to Arthur.

“I can see that,” he said. “But how about you?”

I cleared my throat. “A little more… scared than excited.”

Becky leaned over from the front seat. “Oh come on, Sarah. We’ll have tons of fun,” she chirped encouragingly.

“I think we better tell her.” Leon leaned closer whispering to my ear as Becky continued prattling about the Hollywood sign to Arthur who politely engaged in the conversation with her.

It almost made me fall out of my seat. “Tell what?” I hissed playing dumb.

A smile trailed on his lips. “About me being you-know-who…”