Pain

This is chapter 21.

---

Author's POV:

"That Concubine Leanne has quite the capability. She is already pregnant, while the little lamb sent from our family could only spend a night with the Emperor. How useless." Her lean fingers hold onto her faint pink handkerchief with a white crane embroidered at its corner. Her eyes are set on the plate of fruits but her mind wanders away.

"But if Concubine Leanne delivers a son, that means Crown Prince's position will be much shakier. That will be much to our advantage, Your Highness." Jane's hand snakes into her left sleeves, pulling out a small red cherry blossoms fan and her hand moves rhythmically, fanning her master.

"No. The Empress would never allow a hindrance to be born to this world. That child is destined to die, definitely. But having understood how Empress does things normally, she would not just let the child die meaninglessly. She would use it as a weapon against us." Consort Shine bites her bright-red lips nervously. After Crown Prince has been cleared off all his guilts, she has not made a move to accuse him more, for it will just draw suspicions from His Majesty.

"Th-then...we..."

"Then that is when Yuna will come into use. If we were to be accused of anything, I will plan such that Yuna will receive all the punishment. Of course, it must not involve the Shine family as well. We also would not just sit in silence." Jane easily digests her master's words completely. Blood will be shed again. She discreetly lifts her eyelids and peeks at her master who is closing her eyes and relaxing. She pities her master who has always been worrying about the next moment. Who constantly worries if any disaster might befall her tomorrow. Even when her master is sleeping, her eyebrows are still furrowed, clearly showing how much of pain she is in. At times, she even catches several beads of tears rolling down the sides of Consort Shine when she is sleeping.

She remembers too, how much of pain Consort Shine went through to deliver Third Prince. It was determination that kept her going, though even Consort Shine herself believed that she would have given up.

Jane herself wants to return to the times when Consort Shine has not entered the palace, when everyday was filled with laughter and happiness, when their hands did not reek of blood. She remembers too, that Consort Shine entered the palace with two people she brought as companions from Shine Manor.

Now, only Jane is left. The other person....has long left the world.

---

Author's POV:

"It is a surprise that you actually take the initiative to request to meet me." Empress' eyes stare intently at the man kneeling before him. He is dressed not in his armour, but in his dark violet robe, his eyes still, never leave the floor. He never wants to look at her in the eyes.

"..."

"Say, why did you request to meet me today?"

"Why did Your Highness want Shana to be married to Crown Prince?" His voice is trembling, she could not decipher the meaning behind his tone.

"Why not? She is suitable, she is of nobility."

"Why did Your Highness choose someone from Wales family?!" He raises his voice, his veins on his neck can be seen for a moment. Empress is taken aback for a moment, for that is the first time her childhood friend, Sion Wales has ever shown such animosity towards her.

"There is no motive behind me choosing Shana. You are dismissed if you have no more other inquiries to make." Empress readies herself and pushes herself up from her chair, before General Wales speaks up again.