~13~

Kade had always been good at grand entrances. On the eve of his birth, Hades was required to catch him, as the nymph in charge of delivery had fainted at the sight of all the blood preceding his arrival. It didn't help that Melinoe screamed obscenities through her entire labor. 

As the door to the red coupe opened, Lexi was already walking Jackie O toward the car. Not surprisingly, she had some difficulty keeping her mouth from gaping as Kade stepped out. He was incredibly dashing, with raven hair and dark, piercing eyes like his mother, a seductive blend when combined with the heavy dose of charisma he'd received from his father, who he ignored completely as he offered Lexi a charming smile.

"You must be Lexi," he crooned. "I heard you had eyes as blue as the deepest ocean. My informant was not exaggerating. I am Kaden, but you can call me Kade. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He bowed before her, sweeping his arm behind his back. He was in full performance mode, and Hades stepped forward, forcing Kade to acknowledge him. As they exchanged a friendly embrace, Kade took the opportunity to whisper his greeting into Hades's ear. "You lucky bastard."

Hades felt a touch smug at the compliment his son offered. There had always been an unspoken rivalry between them, considering they had vied for the affections of the same goddesses in the past. "You're looking well, Kade. Your mother tells me you're still hanging around the mortals after hours. I hope you're not causing too much trouble."

"Of course, I am. This place has far better recreation than Olympus. You appear to have found an outlet for your eternal boredom." Kade grinned at Lexi, who had been stroking the same spot on her horse's neck since Kade introduced himself. Hades was surprised she didn't have a retort for Kade, but she would find her voice once she got to know him.

Dion cleared his throat and directed his hand at Kade's chest. "I'm Dion. Lexi's brother. I didn't realize you were joining us. I take it you're Hades's son."

"Good call. I hope I'm not putting anyone out by showing up unannounced."

"Not at all. The more the merrier. We've got plenty of food and lots of space for everyone to chill out."

"Do you have gin? I could really use a snort after that endless road trip. Mortals drive much too slow around here."

"Sure. I'll introduce you to the bar."

As Kade and Dion disappeared into the house, Hades watched Lexi make an attempt to compose herself. "Shall we walk Jackie O back to the stable?" he said. "She looks a little flustered."

Lexi treated him to an embarrassed smile. "I know what you're thinking, and I'm not going to pretend I wasn't just caught off guard by your smooth talking son. I would have expected nothing less from the offspring of a god who charmed his way into my heart. And I would like to point out that you are the god who won it."

She leaned into his mouth and kissed him, taking her time to savor his lips before dragging her tongue over them. Her fingers caressed his neck and slid through his hair, leaving a trail of chills in their wake. His manhood strained beneath his pants as she piqued his desire, and he pressed his growing erection against her leg, sharing his lust.

"Now, I am going to need that walk." After adjusting himself, he gestured to the trail leading back to the stable, and Lexi gently nudged Jackie O toward it. Both she and her horse remained quiet long enough that Hades picked up on the vibe. He had no clue what Jackie O might be thinking, but he knew Lexi always had several thoughts going at once. Was she worried about Kade making a pain of himself? It was definitely likely. Hades was ready to ask her to share her thoughts, when she beat him to it.

"How are you doing, Hades...with Clary being here? That was a shitty thing for Zeus to do."

Ah. So, that's what was worrying her.

"I'm fine, Lexi. It has been almost thirty years since our dalliance came to a close. We have both moved on with our lives."

"How long were you two together?"

Damn. He had a feeling she would want to know such things about his previous lovers, and he dreaded giving her the answer. "Thirty six years."

As he expected, Lexi gasped, but she tried to cover it by clearing her throat. "Oh. That's longer than I imagined, but when you compare it to eternity..."

"It is a long time even for eternity, but life is changeable and so are feelings, and we cannot control either."

"No children?"

"No, Lexi. I have progeny with only two. Clary is not one of them."

Lexi slipped her hand into his. "I'm sorry. I won't bring it up again."

He smiled at her, wishing he could promise it would be different for them. "I have hidden nothing from you, and I do not intend to start, just be sure you want to know the answer before you ask the question."

Her grip tightened around his hand and he distinctly heard her murmur the retort, 'Smartass.'

'