Chapter 29

I woke up in a room filled with writing.

“No,” I muttered, shutting my eyes. My back was pressed against something hard and cool. “No, no, no.”

“Wake up Katrina,” he chuckled a few feet away. My eyes snapped open and I sat up, staring at the man diagonally to my right. Jonathan smiled sadly at me from his bed, book in his hands and glasses slipping down the bridge of his nose.

“You, you brought me here,” I hissed at him while my body shook with fear. “After… after all of that you…”

“I didn’t Kat,” he rushed. John’s eyes fell the slightest bit and he took a deep breath before continuing. “Batman woke up sooner than I thought and I had been in the process of moving you out of my room. He’s the reason we’re in here.” I stared at him for a moment longer before I was convinced this was the truth; his heartbeat never faltered.

“Why would they put me back in here?”

I looked at all the damaging and hurtful words I had written in my fit of insanity and cringed. There were eyes staring at me from every surface, throwing me off even more. A dragon blew fire at me on the ceiling while another one few on the wall I shared with a missing Catwoman. A groan escaped my lips when I found that my bed frame had been removed completely and only my mattress remained; it was tucked up in the corner I shared with Edward and the back wall. My mind raced as my eyes slowly scanned the walls around me.

“Kat, just stop it,” Jonathan’s voice broke through to my consciousness. Looking up at him, I could tell he’d been trying for a while because his face was red and he was standing against the wall closest to me. “Don’t focus on anything you wrote or drew okay? Just try and sleep, you need your rest.”

“Why are you so worried about me Johnny, really?” He furrowed his brows at my question. “Is it because you nearly killed me and decided that you owe me something?”

“That’s how it started, yes.” John’s voice had gotten softer and he looked at me sadly for a minute.

“Okay, so now… what is this?” I gestured to the air around me and started to feel the weight of my weariness.

“Just sleep Katrina, sleep and you’ll get better.”

I stared at him as he pushed his glasses back onto his face and picked up his book, once more leaving the world of the living. My feet started to move towards my mattress and my eyes were closed before I ever felt my head hit the uncomfortable springs.

--

Everyone was milling around the cafeteria for dinner, paying no attention to the slop on their plastic trays. The guards let me sleep most of the day and ignored my sleeping form when they called out for dinner. When I finally woke up Dean was waiting to escort me to receive my daily meal.

“What’s going on in here?” I looked up at the warden to see that he was less than pleased. “Dean, what’s going on?”

“Alright!” The tall man left my side and started yelling at the inmates to return to their seats and finish eating before he threw everyone in solitary for a few days.

“You just missed it,” John chuckled quietly behind me. I jumped at his sudden closeness and spun around to see him smirking. “Why are you so jumpy?”

“I just woke up and nothing’s really making sense right now; so stop scaring me.” I yawned briefly before looking back up at my highly amused friend.

“Stop scaring? I feel offended Kat,” he scoffed. “I understand how Edward must have felt when you asked for a direct answer.”

“Stop making fun of me and help me find something decent to eat,” I mumbled.