Life support

There's only us

There's only thisForget, regret or life is yours to miss

Liam and Mason had made their way to the life support meeting. They sit among others, who -like them- all suffer from the AIDs virus. A grouchy man, with bushy eyebrows, the leader, speaks up.

"Thank you all for coming today. I'd like to wish you all a merry Christmas." He smiles gently, knowing that for many of them, this Christmas could be their last.

Scott has snuck in the back. He places his bag gently down on one of the seats behind the circle- but it makes a loud clatter.

"Sorry, excuse me, oops" He cringes, taking his scarf off.

"And you are?"

"Oh, I'm not, I'm just here to, I don't have-" He stops himself, thinking of how insensitive that sounded. "I'm here with... Scott, I... Scott, I'm Scott" He takes a seat next to Mason, who squeezes his hand. "Would anyone mind if I filmed this... For a documentary?"

There were no objections, and so the leader gestured for Scott to join.

"Hi, Scott. I'm Derek.
We'll continue the affirmation" He glances at the group. "Would anyone care to start?"

A timid boy raises his hand. "Hi. Isaac... I'm Isaac. I'm having a problem with um... My T-cells are low
it's... not great.... that news."

"But Isaac, how do you feel today?" Derek asks, kindly.

"What do you mean?"

"How do you feel today?"

"Okay"

"Is that all?"

"Best I've felt all year"

"Then why choose fear?" Derek questions, frowning.

"I'm a New Yorker" Isaac laughs quietly. He notices Scott's camera is pointed at him and he smiles. "Fear's my life" The group laugh.

"Look, I find some of what you teach suspect- because I'm used to relying on intellect. But I try to open up to what I don't know, because reason says I should've died three years ago."

"That's ok Isaac." Derek smiles. "We're here for you."

"We're here for you"

***

Lydia, the dancer from the cat-scratch club, is up on stage. Her skimpy bikini like costume barely covers any skin as she flounces her way across the stage, waving her boobs and butt in people's faces, and collecting money from them. Her song goes something like this;

What's the time?

Well it's gotta be close to midnightMy body's talking to meIt says, Time for danger

It says, I wanna commit a crime

Wanna be the cause of a fightI wanna put on a tight skirtAnd flirt with a stranger

I've had a knack from way back

At breaking the rules once I learn the gamesGet up! Life's too quick, I know someplace sickWhere this chick'll dance in the flames

We don't need any money

I always get in for freeYou can get in tooIf you get in with me

Let's go out tonight

I have to go out tonightYou wanna play? Let's run awayWe won't be back before it's New Year's DayTake me out tonight, meow

When I get a wink from the doorman

Do you know how lucky you'll be?That you're on line with the felineOf Avenue B

Let's go out tonight

I have to go out tonightYou wanna prowl, be my night owl?Well take my hand we're gonna howlOut tonight

In the evening I've got to roam

Can't sleep in the city of neon and chromeFeels too damn much like homeWhen the Spanish babies cry

So let's find a bar

So dark we forget who we areWhere all the scarsFrom the nevers and maybes die

Let's go out tonight

I have to go out tonightYou're sweet, wanna hit the street?Wanna wail at the moon like a cat in heat?Just take me out tonight

Please take me out tonight

Don't forsake me, out tonightI'll let you make me out tonightTonight, tonight, tonight

Lydia has made her way to the loft where Scott and Stiles live. Fortunately, the filmmaker is out, leaving the only person she wants to see. She cracks open the window, where she had climbed up the balconies, and listens for a second to his guitar riffs.

Stiles jumps round as Lydia lands next to him with a flirty smirk on her face. She pulls his shirt towards her and he shoves her away.

"Who do you think you are? Barging in on me and my guitar?" Stiles is furious. The look on his face makes Lydia slightly scared. "Little girl, the door is that way."

He takes her arm and pulls her towards the large steel door.

"Take your powder, take your candle- Your sweet whisper, I just can't handle!
Goodbye, goodnight."

Stiles slams the door open an leans for a second against the frame.

"I should tell you..." He ponders painfully. "I should... no!"

"Another time, another place. Looking for romance? Come back another day."

Lydia stops by the door and marches right back inside, refusing to give up. His past relationship tragedy didn't mean this one wasn't meant to be.

"The heart may freeze. Or it can burn. The pain will ease." She places a kind hand on his shoulder and his expression softens. "There is no future and there is no past. I live this moment as my last. And you should too."

Lydia is kneeling in front of him now. "There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other road, no other way. No day but today" Lydia's eyes are so soft and beautiful that Stiles can't help but get lost in them for a moment, entranced by her words and beauty. He shakes himself out of it and shoves her hand off.

"Excuse me if I'm off track, but if you're so wise then tell me, why'd you need smack?"

Lydia is (for once) speechless. She stumbles on her words as Stiles takes her by the arm and pushes her out of the door.

"Stiles-"

"No." He interrupts her, shaking his head sadly. "Never come here again."

Stiles slams the door him her face, leaving he girl to trail back to her flat, in sadness.