Chapter 36

Fadil

The cloudless blue sky, the bright sun and the high temperatures greeted me as I stepped out of my apartment to fill the car boot with all our bags for the weekend trip. It was not easy going away with a baby. Ramlah had packed every little essential for Ejaz, worrying if he may need something. I shook my head at her concern. She really was a caring mother, making sure that Ejaz is content at all times.

I had to carry the items to the car in two rounds. When I finally came back the third time in the apartment, Ramlah was wearing her abaya and Ejaz leaning on the sofa cushions was eagerly watching his mother. He was a smart baby, already he knew when his mother got ready in hijab and abaya it was time to go out. He was whining lightly, desperately waiting for his mother to carry him, so he can go outdoors.

"Sabr Ejaz, let me just pin my hijab," Ramlah mumbled with a pin between her teeth as she fixed her hijab. I stood beside her and gently took the hijab pin from her mouth and her startled eyes met mine.

"Sweetheart, you will get hurt doing that. I don't want you doing that again. Next thing you know, you might swallow a pin," I sternly reminded her.

She giggled taking the pin from my fingers, "My dear husband, don't worry I have been wearing hijab for many years now and I have practice." She pinned her hijab as she spoke.

"Still accidents can happen." I pointed out and bent down to pick up my overenthusiastic son.

"You are right. I will be careful next time," she replied scanning her reflection in the mirror.

I slid my arm around her waist and kissed her cheek, "You are beautiful."

"You are not that bad yourself you know," she scrunched her nose.

"I hope that was a compliment," I narrowed my eyes.

Looping her arm through mine and sliding the baby bag on her other shoulder, she chortled, "May be."

When we were out of the apartment and waiting for the lift, she squealed with excitement, "I am really looking forward to the beach." She squeezed my arm to emphasize her statement.

We entered the lift and I saw the happiness in her eyes. In the two weeks, we had been married, I could see the stress lines that had formed on her forehead were slowly fading. Instead of the distressed look or a frown, there was a smile that graced her face making her look even more beautiful.

She saw me staring at her and frowned, "What? Is there something on my face?" she turned to the mirror on the lift.

I stood behind her and whispered into her hijab-clad ear, "Yes there is."

Her frown deepened and again she scrutinized her face, "I don't see anything."

"Excitement" I murmured kissing her cheek. My lips lingering longer than necessary.

"Ffffaaadilll" she shrieked, "Someone will see us."

"No one's here, we are all alone in the lift."

Taking Ejaz in her arms from me, she hastily moved away, "Ejaz, tell your father he is being naughty."

Ejaz gurgled a laughter.

"It seems Ejaz approves." I smugly said.

She grinned and was about to say something when the lift stopped and a young couple entered.

"Later" she whispered.

"Can't wait," I winked

She blushed.

****

"Now all set?" I asked buckling my seat belt and entered our destination on the GPRS device. Ejaz was fastened in his car seat and was given a teddy bear and a rattle to play with. He was happily banging it on the car seat. Ramlah was scrolling down on her phone.