Chapter 11- Clock tower [Vikk]

I sit by a large window, gazing out across the town. The sky is littered with stars; the moon shines brightly overhead. I should have known that sleep wouldn't come to me tonight.

Past the wall, past the warmly glowing lanterns, I can see the dark forest, and beyond that; the mountains. Even in the darkness, I can still see them looming over the entire area. The mountains surround us on all sides; the village is the direct middle of the land.

It's arranged like an archer's target; A ring of mountains on the outside, then forest, then plains, and finally our village.

Directly in the middle of the village, I can see, is the clock tower.

A large brass bell hangs far above, though it only rings at midday and midnight.

I lean my head back against the wood of my house. It's strange, after so long sleeping with somebody, anybody, nearby, to be staying in a building on my own. The house almost feels stuffy, even though it's temperature is completely normal.

I glance back up at the clock tower.

Would there be a staircase up there?

I stand up, and slip on my jacket. My eyes land on my sword, glinting slightly in the moonlight.

No.

I don't need it.

Not where I'm going.

I slip out of my door and step onto the cobbled path. Looking up towards the clock tower, I can see that it's not far away. Like a thief, I slip between the buildings until I get to the base of the clock tower. It's got a round base, with a dark oak door on one side. I approach it slowly, and then stop.

Its hanging slightly open, with a tiny glimmer of light from the inside shining out. I slip through the gap, and walk into the room. A staircase runs all the way around the building, towering up into the sky. There's a wooden handrail, which looks fairly stable, and a lantern in one corner. Gingerly, I begin to climb up the steps, clinging onto the handrail.

I don't count my steps, but there must have been at least two hundred there. When I finally reach the tøp, I'm not out of breath, but I'm definitely tired. Around the top of the clock tower, outside, is a small balcony, which winds the entire way around.

It would be a nice place to sit, I think.

And then I hear it. Not anything very loud; just a tiny sniffle, from the other side of the balcony.

I turn slowly, and make my way around the platform.

I suppose this was always meant to happen. It was always going to be me and him.

I watch him, shrouded in darkness. The moonlight shines on his golden hair, but it hides his face.

I know he knows I'm here, but he doesn't show it.

Gingerly, I approach him. He's sitting precariously on the edge of the platform, one hand resting on a pole which supports the roof.

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I say quietly. I watch his face for movement. A ghost of a smile is on his lips.

The town below us is like the physical embodiment of peace. Not even the grass makes a sound, from the plains beyond.

There is a single light on, a tiny lantern in the market place, but apart from that the village is dark.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" I say, and carefully take a seat beside him on the platform.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see him glance at me.

"I was hoping you could tell me."

I don't answer him, but I watch him, taking in the dark rings around his eyes, the reddened cheeks.

He's been crying.

"What have I done?"

He says, voice barely a whisper.

My heart flutters in my chest.

"It's not your fault."

A tear rolls down his cheek, and his voice hitches as he answers me.

"I saw h-him. Today. P-preston was kissing Rob."

I'm ashamed to say that my heart leapt, at this moment. Along with that, came a quiet rage. How dare Preston hurt Lachlan like that?

"He-he what? That's awful. I'm so sorry."

"And n-now you're here. What h-happened, that day in the square?"

I look down at my hands.

"Lachlan, I-"

"How do you know my name? How did you know that?"

His voice is so weak, it hurts.

I look away, and lean my head on a pole.

"We were in love, weren't we?"

I close my eyes, and bite my lip. He's figured it out, then.

"Yes."

I whisper, breath hitching in my throat.

"I'm sorry I hurt you."

I turn quickly.

"No! No. Please don't be sorry. It's not your fault. It's not your fault." The tears are flowing freely now. "Yes, we were in love, and I don't know what happened, but then we weren't. Your memories were taken."

"What's your name?"

I look up at him, eyes wet with tears. I can see his are, too.

"Vikk. My name is Vikk."