Chapter 12- Stirring [Vikk]

My heart sits, sunken, in the pit of my chest. I sniff silently, and turn to face him, bathed in moonlight.

I can't think of anything to say to him. I feel like the words have been taken from my mouth. He looks down at his hands as the wind ruffles his hair slightly.

It still amazes me at how perfect he is.

"Vikk... I'm afraid. Do you think Preston will be with rob? I don't want to go back to... his house."

I can tell he was about to say our, but changed his mind.

Preston has hurt him for the last time. I scrunch up my fist at my side, and feel that same quiet rage. I should have never left the village and let this happen to him. I should have known. I should have known.

"If you don't want to stay back there, you're welcome to stay at my place. I mean, it's not very homely yet, but..."

I trail off.

He glances at me, puts on a tight smile.

"Sure. That- That would be nice."

We sit there for a while longer, watching the moon slowly cross the sky. Then he sighs, and looks down.

"I found an old library, yesterday."

He says it so faintly, I can barely hear him.

"I found a book." He laughs softly into his lap. "Of course I did. It was a library."

he reaches into his pocket, and brings out a tiny square of paper, yellowing and old.

Carefully unfolding it, he lets it flutter to rest upon the platform in between us. With shaking fingers, I reach down and reads the words written on it.

What we have once cherished we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.

-Unknown

"I felt something, Vikk, when I saw your face. It was only a tiny stirring, but I felt it. I may not be able to recall your name, or your actions, but I could never truly forget your voice, your heartbeat."

I gaze up at him, let the paper slip from my fingers. It flutters out over the town, carried by the wind. He touches his chest.

"Because you never really left me."

My heart lifts up again.

All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.

"Can we start again, Vikk? I can feel it, right here." He touches his chest again. "I know you're still here, in my heart."

Tears are still dripping down my cheeks, but not tears of heartbreak. These are tears of hope. I nod.

"Of course..."

He holds out his hand. I lift up my own palm, and place it gently onto his. I feel the warmth of his fingertips spread into my own. The stars seem to shine a little brighter, in those moments; tiny pinpricks of warmth and light.

And then, of course, there was Lachlan. My source of warmth and light. His beautiful smile, his affectionate hugs.

How could I not fall in love with him?

The light of the moon disappears for a second, obscured in clouds. I feel his grip tighten, and then relax as the silvery light returns.

I glance to my side, at Lachlan's face.

We stand up, hands still locked together.

I look up at his face, he looks down at mine.

And then the world turns white.