A Few Minor Details

"Y/n? Y/n, wake up!"

You crack your eyes open, then wince and close them again when you see a bright light. "Hi, Jay," you mumble.

Wait. Jay?

"Jay!" You sit up and throw your arms around Jay, ignoring his startled squeak. "You're all right!"

"Y/n, I'm so sorry," Jay says. He hugs you tightly, and you can feel his tears soaking into your hair. "Nya told me what happened down there and I—I'm sorry," he repeats, his voice cracking.

You fell a stab of jealousy, but push it away. You've been through too much with Nya to not trust her now. "It wasn't your fault. You were hypnotized. You had no idea what you were doing."

Jay sighs. "I know, but if anything had happened to you, I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

"Nothing did happen, Jay," you promise. "We're all safe now."

When Jay opens his mouth to talk again, you stop him from saying anything by kissing him. Jay hesitates at first, but then goes with it when you pull him closer.

"Thanks, y/n," he says when you two finally pull apart. "I'm really lucky to have a girlfriend like you."

You smile at him. "You mean it?"

"I can't think of anyone in the world who's luckier than I am right now," he confirms. "Or happier. Or—"

You put a hand over his mouth to stop him. "Okay, I get it."

For the first time, you realize you're not in the Serpentine tomb anymore. Instead, you're sitting on the grass in a park near your college campus. Jay must have carried you out of the tomb while you were unconscious.

"Where did Nya go?" you ask as something else occurs to you. "Is she all right?"

Jay looks surprised for a second before answering. "Oh, she's fine. She's over there, taking to that Serpentine who followed us out here."

Now it's your turn to be surprised. "Slithraa came?"

"You know him?"

"Yeah, he's a friend of mine. He told me where to find you." Before Jay can make another comment, you add, "And he saved my butt while Nya and I were rescuing you."

"Oh." Jay seems to calm down when you mention the last part. "Okay. I guess I'd better thank him then. And also apologize."

You open your mouth to ask and Jay explains quickly, "I thought he was trying to attack you until Nya vouched for him, so I kind of said some dumb things."

"I think he'll forgive you. After all, the first time I met him, I punched him in the face."

Jay laughs. "Okay, that makes me feel better."

You give Jay another quick peck on the lips and stand up, then wince as your ankle throbs. Jay gets up as well and steadies you. "Come on, I'll introduce you all properly."