~18~

Lexi needed a breather after her conversation with Clary. It wasn't that she didn't like the goddess of honesty. Clary was intelligent, respectful, and humorous. Lexi could easily see why Hades had chosen her as a consort, and if Clary hadn't assured Lexi she had no intention of returning to the underworld, Lexi might have been more jealous of her. 

But, there was just so much honesty one could take, and once Clary had excused herself, Lexi snuck into the dining room to escape the drone of conversation. Unfortunately, this triggered her memory of the testosterone-infused holiday dinner. The table had been cleared, and the candelabras were replaced by an evergreen wreath encircling a winter village scene made from pieces of hand painted ceramic. It was the first of many Christmas embellishments that would follow as the weekend progressed, but it was the dissected body of the turkey that Lexi remembered as she stared at the festive table.

Why had it taken her so long to realize her hypocrisy? How could she claim to be concerned for the welfare of animals when she was still supporting their premature demise? If it hadn't been for her preoccupation with helping Hades to bed, she might have emptied her churning guts in the bathroom. That would have been a terrible insult to Chef Pastille. So, where was she to go from there?

Lexi let her thoughts run rampant as she made for the stable to see her old friend. As soon as she stepped onto the path however, a whole new set of questions surfaced. How could she leave Jackie O, knowing that her extended absence would likely trigger her horse's depression again? Was there no way to bring an earthbound creature into the underworld without causing its death? 

By the time Lexi reached the stable, she was stifling tears. Knowing Jackie O could read her emotions, she composed herself before walking up to the stall. The stable light had been triggered by dusk, and Jackie O's mane shimmered under the soft glow. She greeted Lexi with a happy nudge on the cheek, and Lexi nuzzled her back, feeling a fresh wave of emotion as she breathed in the earthy scents of horse and straw.

The tinkling of female laughter drifted down from the hay loft, accompanied by a lusty moan and the sound of wood planks creaking. Lexi took a few steps back, craning her neck to get a look through the slats of the railing. It didn't take much to realize what was going on over her head. A pair of lovers were upstairs, hidden by the neatly stacked bales of hay. But who? 

Being naturally curious, Lexi strained to listen, and her blood froze when she heard the voice of a man. A seductive and eerily familiar voice. "Oh, Clary. It has been so long."

Her first instinct was to bolt from the stable, but her legs would not move, and her ribs felt like they might fracture into a million pieces if she took a breath. Lexi could not bear the thought of catching the man she loved in the throes of passion with another woman, and the fact that they were gods and tended to consort to their heart's content did not make the idea any easier to take. 

Pressing her cheek against Jackie O's neck, Lexi tried to focus on the snorts of the horses rather than the sounds of sex above her. But it was impossible to ignore. She had to know. As stealthy as falling snow, she made her way toward the staircase and padded up, her heart thudding like a fish on the deck of a boat. On her way up, she questioned her motives. What was she thinking, spying on two people getting busy? She was no pervert. She nearly turned around to abandon her mission when she heard the voice again.

"You smell delicious. I think I have missed that most of all."

Lexi fell to her knees, overcome with a fierce pain in her chest, like her heart had been tackled by a rugby team. Hades always commented on the scent of her skin. How it intoxicated him. This could not be happening. How could Hades do this to her? It was too soon. She clutched at her stomach as she contemplated whether or not to confirm her suspicion. Would she be able to recover from it? Was this the first in many tests she would have to endure as the consort to the god of the underworld? He was so powerful, and she was a meager demigod.