~19~

Hades's champagne-clouded thoughts tormented him as he and Lexi walked back to the estate. Her powers were coming in like a team of unruly stallions, and it appeared she was following in her father's footsteps. He could see Z using it as a leverage point to convince Lexi into leaving the underworld and joining him on the mountain. With their combined powers, the palace of Olympus would command submission and respect from all the gods. 

Of course, Hades knew Lexi was not interested in wielding power over the inhabitants of Olympus, at least not until her gifts reached fruition and she became like them; a lusty, proud, omnipotent god. The best hope Hades had hinged on Lexi's mortal upbringing and her staunch devotion to him. Or, maybe he shouldn't be worried about Lexi's unruly powers as much as the reason they had been triggered. Clearly, jealousy and her desire not to share him would require his constant attention.

Like a bad dream, Hades was roused from his thoughts by the growl of the supreme overlord of omnipotent gods. "Please, explain to me why there is lightning on the horizon but not a cloud in the sky?" 

Z stopped in front of them, barring their way on the narrow path with his broad shoulders. His poorly-concealed grin told Hades he was perfectly aware of the reason lightning had been discharged over the sea.

"It seems Lexi has uncovered another trait she inherited from her father." Hades offered Lexi a comforting squeeze around her shoulder.

Z's chest shook with laughter. "I knew there was something that set you apart from the others. I felt it in my bones. We will have to talk about how to keep those powers under wraps, young one. We don't want you causing any accidents or unintended forest fires."

"Can we do that later?" she said. "I really want to get out of here before..." 

Voices echoed up the path, interrupting Lexi's rebuttal. Hades didn't have to turn around to know Kade and Clary were approaching, and he felt Lexi stiffen beside him as she whispered, 'Too late' under her breath.

"Fancy meeting you here." Kade sauntered up to Lexi, wearing a familiar calculating smile. "Was it you making all that racket on the beach? I thought the aliens had landed and were starting their planetary takeover."

Lexi pursed her lips and appeared to rally her fortitude as she addressed Kade. "What makes you think it was me?"

"Well, there was some commotion in the stable earlier, and my keen senses told me it wasn't the horses getting restless. Have you ever had the sensation you were being watched?"

Hades suspected Lexi's face had gone red, but the unlit path concealed it, and she glanced briefly at Clary, who wore the smile that never seemed to leave her face. Surprisingly, Hades realized Clary's smile didn't affect him the way it used to, and he took hold of Lexi's hand, reminding her he was there.

"I suggest we join the others inside," Hades said. "I don't know about the rest of you, but I need a refreshing beverage."

"Don't you think you have imbibed enough, brother? When your girlfriend is putting you to bed in the middle of the day, it might be time to reexamine your limitations."

"Clearly, our idea of a refreshing beverage differs. I was speaking of water."

Despite the handicap of an alcohol-soaked brain, it hadn't escaped Hades's notice that Z referred to Lexi as his girlfriend. Had his brother used the mortal moniker for Lexi's benefit? Hades knew Z would like nothing more than to keep Hades and Lexi apart for eternity, and acknowledging their intimate relationship made Hades highly suspicious. Z was up to something, and it frustrated Hades to no end that he, as of yet, had not figured out what.

Hades's mood did not improve, even after he had chugged half the water in his bottle. Z made haste to corral Lexi in the living room, and they sat together on the couch, surrounded by every text on Greek mythology owned by the Maxwell family. Mortal texts were no match for the bylaws of Olympus, as they were based a great deal on speculation. Still, the gods' infiltration into mortal societies had allowed many secrets to be divulged, usually in the heat of passion. Hades suspected Z was counseling Lexi on her duties as a goddess, and Hades chose to keep his distance during the lecture, despite his desire to whisk Lexi back to the underworld, barricade themselves in Lexi's bedroom, and make love to her until they were both raw.

"You seem distracted," Clary said, catching Hades by surprise. 

He offered her a smile, although he hated that her assessment was correct. "Your powers of observation have not failed you."

"I believe you have done well in choosing Lexi as your consort. She is an enlightened and willful demigod, with a strong and compassionate spirit. She is sure to find peace under your benevolent guidance."

Hades couldn't help smirking, knowing she would recognize it as his I know a lecture when I hear one smirk. "You have always been able to deliver troublesome messages more eloquently than any other."

"It is a skill one learns when one is obliged to offer honest opinions."

"Indeed. And I suspect your honest opinion would be that I have a long road ahead of me."

"Your suspicion is correct. But, as I said, Lexi may prove to be stronger than all of us, even her own father. At least, in her will. If you offer her opportunities to fulfill her godly duties in the underworld, I believe you two could find happiness, just as you and Persephone have done."

Clary held his gaze as she delivered the blow. She had never told him outright that she left him because of Persephone, but he had learned to read between the lines with her. Of course, she may have been simply stating a fact. But, more likely, the comment was her way of letting him know that his devotion to Persephone was almost certainly the cause of his eternal loneliness.

 But, more likely, the comment was her way of letting him know that his devotion to Persephone was almost certainly the cause of his eternal loneliness