four

yesterday, i had absolutely no luck finding adrian. i don't even know why i tried looking for him in a such big city. it was useless. my nose starts to tingle and my eyebrows pull together in confusion.

i make my out of my room and immediately come in contact with a thick cloud of smoke and horrid stench of marijuana. my eyes widen in alert. oh my god, my roommate is a pothead.

"jack, what the hell!" i shout, making my way into the living room.

he sits on the couch, scrolling through his phone. three of his buddies are also with him. the two blondes look super familiar from the party i went to the other night.

"jack!" i repeat, annoyed and he finally lifts his head to look at me.

his eyes narrow and he is unamused, "what, nova?" he scoffs.

"what the hell do you want what?" i grunt.

"that's exactly what i mean." he admits. "what?"

"don't smoke in our damn apartment!" i order, using a magazine to try and blow away the smoke.

"it's not even me!" he argues back. "it's nate and sam!"

he yells at me, pointing to the brown haired and fake blonde boy. i clench my teeth together and glare at the two, but i don't stay mad for long because sam was the one who complimented me the other night.

"also, that's johnson." he adds, pointing to the natural blonde, who's completely sober and is on his phone.

johnson lifts his head and gives me a welcoming smile, as long as a small hand wave.

"are you gonna roll another up?" a raspy voice asks and i see that nate is talking to sam.

"yeah, after i finish mine. slow the fuck down." he laughs in response.

i storm over to jack and grab him up from the couch, pulling his ear. he instantly follows along due to the pain.

"ow, what the fuck!" he snaps, slapping my wrist away.

"why are you letting them smoke in here?" i scowl over the somewhat loud music that begins to play.

he shrugs, "they're my friends." he clarifies like it's the answer that i'm looking for.

"you are unbelievable, jack." i use one of my hands to rub my right temple. "couldn't you at least go over to one of their houses?"

he shakes his head vigorously, "no way. they almost got kicked out from last night when i went. we take turns."

"so, hotel gilinsky is the last resort?" i sarcastically ask.

he smirks, "you said hotel gilinsky." he stifles his laugh like a child.

i slap his arm, "focus!"

"you're abusive, god damn." he whines, rubbing the side of his arm.

"you need to get rid of them." i tell him, referring to the group of guys in my living room.

"relax, nova." a voice says behind me.

i turn on my feet and see sam standing with a smirk on his face. in between his fingers is a joint and he holds it up for me.

"loosen up." he suggests.

i shake my head, "i'm good, sam. thank you."

"come on, just one drag." sam emphasizes, holding up his index finger.

"she doesn't want some, sam." jack chimes in and speaks up for me.

"why not?" sam inquires, tilting his head and not giving up.

"because she's a prude." is all jack says in return.

i gasp, stunned by what he just said, "that is not why! i just don't like smoking. i don't mind drinking, but i despise smoking."

"you're no fun. if you smoke and drink, you get extra fucked up, but you don't need to prove to me how fucked up you can get. i saw the other night." sam winks.

jack scoffs in disgust, "gross. you're hitting on my whore of a roommate."

"she's not a whore, jack." sam backs me up.

"she literally brought home someone from the party."

"are you jealous?" sam asks, causing jack to scowl at him.

"why would i be jealous? i could do so much better than her." jack replies, nodding his head toward me.

"don't act like you've never brought anyone back-"

suddenly, there's a knock on the door and i glare at jack. he raises his eyebrows and shrugs his shoulders.

"i swear to god if it's another one of your friends, jack gilinsky, you are going to die."

"it's not, i promise." he holds his hands up in defense.

i sigh loudly, heading toward the door. i am not in the mood to deal with cara and her tag along, amber, today. i swing the door open, but immediately compose myself when i see what is before me.

"adrian?" i smile.

"hey, we never exchanged numbers." he says, not acknowledging the stench.

"sorry if it smells like weed, my roommate has friends over." i blurt, hoping that he doesn't think i'm some kind of freak, but maybe freaks are his type?

"nothing i haven't smelled before." he simply shrugs like it's no big deal.

i invite him inside and he holds up a bouquet of mixed red and white roses and a teddy bear. how romantic is that?

"guess what day is coming up-"

"you, again." the familiar and obnoxious voice says from behind me.

adrian looks over and so do i. jack stands there, eyeing what adrian has brought to me.

"ignore him." i plead.

"we don't have room for your stupid flowers." jack dryly declares.

i roll my eyes at his words, but then take the things from adrian's hands. jack needs some duct tape on his mouth or something.

"anyway, as i was saying. valentine's day is coming up and i was wondering if you wanted to go out on a dated? maybe?" he asks nervously.

"the answer is no, pretty boy." jack says, stepping closer to us.

"i think nova can speak for herself." adrian politely responds, looking down at me once again.

"i'd love to go on a date with you." i smile brightly at him.

"who was at the door?" another voice joins and it is the very high sam. "adrian!"

"sam, hey, man." adrian says, greeting sam with one of those guy handshake hugs.

"you two know each other?" jack and i ask simultaneously.

"yeah, my dad knew adrian's dad."

jack hums in confused understanding, "wouldn't i know adrian if you knew adrian?"

"no, you rarely pay attention to anything." sam laughs.

as adrian and sam begin conversing, jack taps my arm, making me turn to him. he lowers his voice to a whisper.

"why the hell is he here?"

"don't you see?" i question. "he wanted to ask me on a date for valentine's."

"i don't like it."

"wait, what?" i laugh. "what's not to like? gifts and a hot guy."

"get rid of him." jack bluntly demands.

my eyebrows raise, "excuse me?"

"did i stutter, nova? get rid of him and if you want girly gifts, i'll get you some damn girly gifts."

"it's not just about the gifts!" i exasperate. "it's also who gives them to me."

"get rid of him." he sternly says again. "i'm not going to repeat myself a fourth time."

{vote, comment, share}