slow it down

{prologue}

zayn's pov

The nasty summer heat causes me to strip from my flannel, leaving me in my tank-top to desperately try to cool off. Harry's already shed most of his clothing, left sitting in his rolled up pair of shorts. The two of us look like your stereotypical British boys beneath this hot Californian sun.

It's been awhile since it's been just the two of us. After just finishing our world tour, we have a few weeks to spend however we'd like until we're back into the studio to start working on our next project. Usually on our time off, we go our separate ways, already spending too much time with one another.

That's why I was rather surprised when Harry called me up and asked me to chill today. I would have thought he'd be spending every waking moment with Olivia, seeing as they're both off tour for the time being.

"Mate, we don't spend enough time together," Harry tells me as the two of us skateboard through the rather quiet neighborhood.

I can't help but to snort and raise an eyebrow to him. But as I look at his direction, I see he's wearing a completely serious expression. You never know with Harry... He's always joking around.

"Spending the entire year on tour isn't enough for you?" I ask, letting out a small chuckle.

"No, I mean just you and I," Harry gives me an unimpressed look.

I shrug my shoulders as I do a small flip on my board. A victorious smile spreads across my face as I land it perfectly. Harry gives me a thumbs up as he skates in front of me.

I suppose he's right. None of us lads ever get time to spend one-on-one with one another. When we're strictly doing studio time, we sometimes go out with just another member. I can't even remember the last time just Harry and I spent time with one another before today.

"Yeah, this is nice," I shrug, agreeing.

I can't help but to give Harry a peculiar glance, wondering where this sappy, emotional side of him has come from. None of us lads ever talk about this. I'm not objecting by any means, it's nice, I suppose.

It's just odd.

"You know what would be awesome?" He hops off of his board abruptly, popping it up so it's in his hands.

I struggle to stop as quickly as possible, nearly tumbling directly onto my face. After regaining my balance, I shoot Harry an extremely confused expression.

What is up with him?

"You should come with me to the Ragstock Music Festival," He suggests, just brimming to the top with excitement, "Ed, Olivia and Tea are performing and it'd be a great opportunity for us to spend some quality time," He continues to sell it when I'm not jumping for joy.

I had intentions of spending my free time doing absolutely nothing. I was going to do a little bit of art here and there, sleep in; perhaps even give my family a visit.

I've been to music festivals before. They are absolutely crazy. The Ragstock Music Festival is better known for being rather wild. It's a week long party experience. Did I really want to spend a week of my vacation sleeping in tents and partying all night long?

Harry can see my hesitation as I bite my bottom lip. He rushes to my side, planting a hand on each of my shoulders to look me dead in the eyes,

"Mate, just think about all the beautiful girls that will be there. It's about time you moved on. It'll be a blast, come on," He reveals another motivation behind his invitation.

 Of course.

The lads have been getting on my case as of lately about getting a new girlfriend. I haven't even really looked at another girl since Summer and I broke up. I haven't really wanted to. I really loved Summer and just can't find the motivation to find someone new.

"Eh, I don't know..." I trail off.

"Yes you do," Harry pats my arm, "This is going to be the greatest week of our lives," Harry smiles excitedly, throwing his skateboard down to mount it once again, not taking no for an answer.

I can't help but to let out a groan as I get back on my board as well.

The things I get pulled into...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AN:

hello everyone! whoohoo welcome to my third story in the 'inspirations' series. if you haven't read 'inspirations' or 'the traveller' you should be fine (but it'd be really sweet if you went and read those first!) just know that harry is with olivia and louis is with mia :)

just a disclaimer: this story is based upon the movie 'tonight you're mine', so I had a lot of inspiration from that movie. if you haven't seen that movie, I definitely recommend it; it's one of my faves!

let me know what your thoughts are on this story. i'm super excited about it! :)

love always,

perksofbeingaweirdo