17: grocery store

short chapter because i updated twice last time so :P

-

SPRING BREAK
saturday ¬ march 19, 2016

Ella Rose really was everywhere Shawn went—literally. He couldn't escape her at school; he couldn't escape her when picking up his little sister; he couldn't escape her when he decided to start his Spring Break off by taking a trip to the grocery store. He ventured to the candy aisle, and to his dismay, Ella was already there, struggling to pick what chocolate to get herself. He wanted to turn and leave, but decided to just ignore her presence and grab what he wanted.

"Hey, Shawn." He heard Ella greet quietly, once she noticed he had joined her in the aisle. He didn't reply; he only gave her a glance. What caught his attention was her basket.

"What's that for?" he couldn't help but ask, as he stared down at the basket filled with diapers, milk, and baby snacks. Ella looked confused for a second before she realized what he had been staring at. She flustered for only a little while, but was still glad he decided to talk to her.

"I'm going to be babysitting for most of Spring Break. I have a neighbour who needs a babysitter for their toddler when they go to work." Ella explained, shrugging it off, and Shawn nodded, internally groaning at the mention of children. He never liked them—with their constant crying and whining.

He also remembered the community work Ella always did when she could—either by helping a charity, visiting animal shelters, or babysitting someone's child.

"Oh, okay." He deadpanned.

Ella smiled softly, nodding. She decided to keep the conversation running. "Y-yeah. So, uh, are you going anywhere for Spring Break with your family?"

"No."

"Oh. So...maybe you and I can hang out some time then?"

That caused Shawn to cackle bitterly. "Hang out some time? Why are you even trying? We're never going to have any sort of relationship between us—not anymore. So get that in your head, Ella, and fucking stop."

She stayed quiet for a bit, her teary eyes evident. It made Shawn's chest ache, but he didn't say anything else. He just watched as Ella nodded, picking up a pack of M&M's from the abundance of chocolates, and then turning her heel. "Okay." She whispered and then walked away.

-