Chapter 3

The bishop dragged me down the aisle kicking and screaming- literally. I kept thinking to myself that if I was going to die I was going to make sure that I went down with the flag flying. There was no way I was going to give up and submissively resign myself to death. I would fight this corpse and his 'Lordship' until my very last breath.

     So in the bishop's decomposing grasp I twisted and twirled fighting every step, but the zombie bishop wrestled me up to the altar. A disapproving wave of hushed whispers rippled through the congregation as the bishop finally pulled me under the arch of dead roses that stood at the end of the aisle.

     "I am not getting married." I yelled at him and the crowd.

       The bishop yanked hard on my wrist and snapped, "Stop whining child. Your future husband will be here any moment and he will not want to see his bride acting up."

     I glanced nervously back down the aisle and saw nothing. The crowd too would occasionally turn their heads hoping for a glimpse of the groom. I wondered what rancid creature the groom would be like. What if the bishop here turned out to be the Prince of Darkness' good looking brother? What if the Prince of Darkness was a corpse?

     Waves of nausea rose up and began pounding against my stomach. My head began to fire a million worse case scenarios in to my mind's eye which made me feel sicker and sicker.

      The bishop suddenly snapped his fingers and yelled to some unknown entity, "Tell his highness to make haste before his bride passes out."

       My legs buckled underneath me and the bishop grabbed on to me and roughly pulled me up on to my feet. Angrily he hissed in my ear, "For God's sake child have courage."

     "I can't get married. Please let me go," I begged the bishop.

     The bishop gazed pitifully at me and whispered, "Be brave my child."

   Terror was slowly paralyzing my body, freezing my muscles as my situation became more desperately hopeless. The zombie bishop continued to support me as my knee tried to cave in.

     The bishop sensing my distress called out, "Will someone tell his Majesty to hurry up and claim his bride before she passes out!"

A small pale boy got up and ran down the aisle disappearing into the mist. A hush ripple of laughter followed him as they all stared at the spectacle before them. The bishop raised his hand sharply, demanding silence, "Settle down now." he said firmly to the crowd. He then gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze. Oh my God, was he trying to offer some kind of moral support or comfort?

        My head was now spinning.

     The altar boy came running back up the aisle and bishop mouthed 'Is he coming?' to which the boy nodded. Oh God help me. I closed my eyes again and opened them hoping to wake myself up from this nightmare.

     Heads began to peer eagerly over their shoulders expecting something or someone. Helplessly I stood rigid, numbed with cold and terror. The decomposing bishop made a small indication to an invisible entity again and out of nowhere an organ began to play a haunting melody.

     The wedding guests all turned sideways looking down the aisle watching in anticipation. Their faces lit up into broad smiles as the music really began to kick in. It wasn't quite the bridal march I had been expecting but it was something grand that you might hear on the TV from a foreign royal court. I would have probably enjoyed it if my life hadn't been on the brink of going down the crapper.

     Waves of panic began to crash into me now and my body was momentarily revived with a rush of adrenaline. In one last desperate attempt I violently tried to break free from the bishop's grasp. Twisting and turning the bishop struggled to control me. For a fleeting second I thought I would be able to escape but then out the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of something that made me stop.