five

as if it had become a normal routine, jack sits and eats breakfast everyday in the same exact spot. he went from not being home at all, to being home every morning.

"good morning." jack greets me as i enter the kitchen.

i don't reply and grab a bowl from the cabinet, along with the cereal. he turns in his chair to fully look at me.

"so you're going to ignore me now? because i told you to get rid of adrian?" he questions. "are you that mad?"

"i only did that because i respect you, but i never said anything about never seeing him again." i inform him.

he clenches his jaw, "you bitch."

"you asshole." i retort.

i open up the box, trying to not let his presence affect me. that's almost impossible because i can practically feel his eyes burning holes into my back.

"maybe we should be civil for once." jack says out of the blue.

i look at him like he's grown two heads, "how can that be possible when you're always the first one to run your mouth?" i roll my eyes.

"maybe if you didn't give me attitude, i wouldn't run my mouth." he argues.

"maybe if you weren't an ass, i wouldn't give you attitude."

"touché, nova."

"this was a nice talk, jack." i bluntly end the conversation while pouring enough cereal into my bowl.

after submerging the cereal in milk, i take a seat across from him, not looking up. i don't know what it is, but it feels super awkward and something definitely feels different.

"don't you have any other friends besides cara?" jack asks me.

i shake my head while munching on my breakfast, "no, i'm new to the state, jack, and i doubt i'll become friends with amber because she slept with my roommate!"

"so... you know no one?" he questions.

i lift my head up to look at him and his eyebrow is raised. almost like he's taunting and mocking me.

"i do know people. i know you, cara, sam, johnson, nate and adrian." i shrug. "when school starts, i'll meet more people."

"speaking of school starting. it starts in a month." jack whistles through his teeth.

"yup, a lot of preparation work needs to be done." i tell him, not wanting to ask how he's smart enough to even attend college.

i sigh, finishing up my cereal in silence. jack just continues to watch me, but i try my best to pay no attention whatsoever. then, i feel his finger go underneath my chin to lift my head up.

"what are you doing?" i ask slowly.

he smiles, showing off his bright and white teeth, "i want to see your face?" he replies as if it's more than a question than statement. "want me to take your bowl?"

"no, um, it's fine. i got it." i rush, confused by his sudden kindness.

"you know, you could get a longer shirt." he points out as i set my bowl into the sink.

"and you could get a shorter shirt." i tell him, examining his dress length shirt.

he narrows his eyes playfully and shakes his head, "you always have to have the last word, don't you?"

i shrug, "i mean, i try." i grin, beginning to head back into my cave.

he grabs my wrist to prevent me and pushes me up against the counter, trapping me in like he did yesterday. my eyes widen from his abrupt attack.

"you're not having the last word this time." he whispers, close to my ear.

"who said that?" i question.

"i did." he replies and i feel something warm and soft hit the skin on my neck.

i freeze, realizing that it's his lips. my knees begin to grow weak and i can't seem to push him away. he pulls away, smirking right in my face.

"i affect you!" he flaunts, near shouting.

i grimace, "no, you don't. you asshole."

"alright, sweetheart. keep telling yourself that." he chuckles, moving away from me.

without saying another word or turning back, he heads into his room. what the hell was that? just a moment ago he was being all mean and now... he was kind and kissing my neck.

i reluctantly lift my hands to touch the flushes clammy skin on my neck. i shake my head vigorously, thinking that it'd get rid of my questionable thoughts.

*

"i asked amber if she wanted to tag along." cara tells me as we walk down the strip mall. "but she asked if jack was coming and i said no. i think she has the hots for him."

"i doubt that jack will reciprocate feelings. he's heartless and cocky." i state.

"you're so hard on him." cara laughs.

my phone buzzes with an incoming call and i check it. an unknown number? without even thinking, i answer, holding my breath.

"nova!" jack shouts through the phone, making me jump.

"jesus christ." i pant.

"nope, just me, jack. when are you coming home?"

"i don't know. maybe in a few hours, why?" i inquire, wondering why the hell he called me.

"where are you?"

"why are you interrogating me? i'm at the mall. what do you want?"

"can you pick up pizza on the way home?" he pleads and i imagine him looking at me with puppy dog eyes.

"i'll think about."

"come on." he whines. "don't be so cold hearted."

my eyes flicker to cara, who's staring at me curiously. i bite my bottom lip and jack continues to ramble on.

"i'll pay you back."

"okay." i sigh. "i'll bring you pizza in about two hours."

with that, i just hang up, not bothering to add him into my contact. how he got my number, i have no idea at all.

"who was that?" cara grins. "your boy toy?"

"nope, just my annoying and ugly roommate."

"jack?"

"no, kim kardashian." i sarcastically mutter. "who else would it be?"

"i was just double checking." she defends. "seeing if you have any other cute roommates." she winks.

i purse my lips and pull my eyebrows together, "jack has some friends. they're not ugly either."

"i'm in!" she exclaims. "only if it's no strings attached."

i think back at sam, "oh, it'll definitely have no strings attached."

cara's grin grows bigger as she loops her arm in mine, "when will i meet jack's friends?"

"jack's friend. just one. his name is sam."

"sam... that's a nice name."

"yeah and i don't know when you'll meet him, but it'll be sometime soon.

my phone starts to buzz again, making me groan. i angrily pick it up.

"what, jack?" i snap.

"don't forget to buy a two liter pepsi. thank you."

{vote, comment, share}