Chapter Twelve

It takes my brain a while to process the fact that Asher and Zander are standing right in front of me, eyes flickering curiously from my stiff posture to the shaking girl in my arms. Their irresistible features look even more threatening as the darkness of the alley casts shadows over one-half of their faces, letting the glow of the moon illuminate the other. I blink, momentarily entranced, as the light catches the steely blue in Asher's right eye as he stares at me intensely. But then I remember how mad I am at him for compromising my friendships and for being such an arsehole. 

"Looking for something?" he says casually, holding up a pink fluffy teddy bear with a grin. For a  second I'm struck with wonder at how rejuvenating that smile is on his face, but when I snap out of it, it's too later. His grin widens and he winks at me endearingly. "I think the bet is already won." Zander stares at us both closely, as if he's mulling something over in his head and can't quite fathom its outcome.

"For the last time, I don't give a shit about your challenge. I'm not a toy, and maybe you should imprint that in that tiny little brain of yours," I snap, ignoring the loud bark of laughter that suddenly protrudes from Zander. He earns a death glare from his friend and meticulously shuts back up. 

"Can I have my teddy bear please?" Mary's voice breaks our exchange and all eyes fly to her as she turns her little pale face towards the two huge males. She frowns and starts struggling against my protective hold when it gets a bit tighter because of the way that they scan her, their eyes taking on a dark glint as they analyse her like she's a threat. She's five years old for God's sake!

Asher looks at her, then at me, and then back again. He holds out the bear and waits for her to take it, the fluffy little thing hanging in the air between them like a peace offering. When Mary's expression suddenly goes darker and takes on a surprisingly threatening edge, Asher takes a surreptious step back, and I give both him and Zander one of my own taunting smiles.

Never mess with the little one. Oh, this is gonna be goooood. 

"Where is the bow," Mary demands a bit too calmly, her voice getting icier and less innocent as the seconds tick by. The two men are speechless as they watch the cute and innocent little girl in my arms turn into a feisty thing, ready to bite their heads off any second. When she snaps her fingers - she actually snaps them - they begin scrambling around for the damn bow desperately, and I almost let out an amused giggle at the frightened expression on their faces.

"You had it," Zander exclaims with bewilderment, pushing a garbage container right over onto its side. 

"No shit Sherlock," Asher hisses back. "It's somewhere on the ground."

"What the fuck is it doing there?"

"I don't fucking know man! Just shut up and look!"

"I can't believe this, we're gonna die at the hands of a three-year-old girl."

"Being a tad over-dramatic aren't they," I whisper to Mary, who giggles secretively. 

"And I'm five, not three," she points out loudly. Zander raises his head from his crouched position on the ground with wide eyes. 

"What was that?" 

"Shut the fuck up Zander!"

"Here it is," Zander finally exclaims, a relieved look on his face as he branches the little, silky, red ribbon high in the air as if it's a million-dollar trophy. He takes a cautious step back when I settle Mary down onto her feet. She approaches him steadily, holding his gaze even though she's a tiny, feeble thing compared to his massive structure. When she takes the bear gently from his trembling ands and gives him a wide toothy smile, he actually lets out a huge sigh of relief and forces a tight smile back. I take her little hand in mine when she's come back to me, smiling to myself as she looks around nervously and clutches the little bear tightly in her arms. Gone is the strong-minded girl. She's now reminded that we're still standing in a pitch-black alley, save for the moon's glow that pools at our feet and casts lateral strips across the bricks on both side walls. I squeeze her hand gently to reassure her, and she huddles closer to my leg. Suddenly a thought comes back to me and all the amusement vanishes, replaced by a dark feeling that's been gnawing at the back of my mind since this afternoon.