The Valentine's Day Special

The Bad Boy's Girl Valentine's Day Special

"The ship is sinking, I repeat the ship is sinking!"

Megan whooshes into the room with the strength of a fiery red headed hurricane and collapses on my bed. Beth who's casually filing her nails by my study table barely looks up from her task and for once I'm thankful that we've been around Megan long enough to not take most of her exaggerated displays of over the top emotion seriously.

Pretending that I have no idea what she's talking about, I sink deeper into my covers and hope that this sleepover doesn't turn into my very own court mandated hour with the town shrink because my friends love to play the part. Megan's more of the good cop, she'll start out with channeling her inner Dr. Phil and even adds in the Texan drawl for added effect. Beth is a bit more hands on, imagine your therapist possessing the unleashed energy of a bull in a rodeo and I might as well be painted red head to toe. So it is understandable that the last think I'd like tonight is for her to metaphorically throw me down and stomp all over me with her barb wired words.

"Why aren't you guys making a huge deal out of this? This is a huge deal, the least you could do is act appropriately." Megan's eyes zone in on me and I pull the covers over my head, snoring for some extra drama.

"Oh no you don't." The covers are ripped off of me, an occurrence that happens way too often for my liking.

"You do not get to have an ugly public fight with boyfriend of the year and pretend that nothing ever happened. Your swollen eyes are a total giveaway FYI. Why didn't you tell us? Why did it have to be on the school's Snapchat story for me to find out that you and Cole exchanged some not so pleasant words on the football field and some dickhead with a camera captured it on his phone for all of ALHS to see?"

I blink, once then twice and then as many times as it takes for Megan's words to register.

"Wait, it's public?"

"Of course it is! Football field, hello? Crawling with meatheads athletes and cheerleaders who might as well be Satan's second coming. But that's not the point, what the ever loving hell happened between the two of you and why isn't our Goth chic Godmother more upset about it? I could have sworn she'd put the fear of God into you by now."

We both turn to look at Beth who's done working on her nails and is observing us with a slightly disturbing mildly detached look. It's the look she gets when someone's talking about One Direction or Justin Bieber or anyone of the pop culture variety because she's truly gorge her eyes out with a fork than listen to their music.

"I heard."

We both gape at her, "You did and I haven't had my spirit crushed under the weight of your judgemental words? How is that even possible?"

She shrugs, "Your boyfriend told me to back off. He saw me while I was coming here, raging bitch and what not, ready to tell you to stop self sabotaging and being a monumental pain the in the butt all the damn time when he basically ambushed me. He told me that the fight was his fault and that he was working on getting you to forgive him. I bought the story, it's quite cute so I'm letting you off the hook. But if you ask me, the fight was pretty stupid..."

"Stupid?" I screech and then hurl a pillow at her. "You call being stood up for the date you've been looking forward to for weeks stupid? Because you know that's exactly how I felt. Stupid! I bought a dress, a very expensive dress from my own savings which I needed to...never mind. We hadn't properly seen each for weeks. We've both been so busy with school and work and his away games that this was the one day we had before things got crazy again. I'd planned the perfect night, reminded him a hundred times but then I stood there waiting for an hour, drove up to his place only to find out that he'd driven out of town without telling anyone where he's going! Imagine the kind of hell that put me through, that his parents went through. We were all calling him frantically and he wouldn't even answer it. It's not even about the stupid dinner reservations or anything, we thought something absolutely horrible had happened to him! Sheriff Stone was about to send off a search party when he stumbles in, completely drunk, barely holding himself upright."