~27~

Hades would miss the sun when he and Lexi returned to the underworld. He loved the way its brilliant light beamed through the windows of Lexi's bedroom, spreading its warmth across her bed. He had hoped to snuggle with her under the sheets for at least an hour before they had to rise, but Lexi was already out of bed by the time he forced his eyes to open. Her bathroom door was closed, which meant she was probably behind it getting ready for their trip home. Maybe she would enjoy a shower companion. She still hadn't collected her reward, offering the legitimate excuse that she preferred to wait until her head didn't feel like an overripe tomato on the vine.

Slipping out of bed, he padded to the door and pressed his ear to it. The shower was running, and he imagined Lexi standing beneath the spray, her breasts glistening and begging to be taken into his mouth. Checking the handle, he found it unlocked, and he opened the door with the stealth of a prowler. But when he entered the bathroom, his heart nearly stopped as his eyes fell upon the blood-splattered floor. He grabbed the towel rack for support as all the strength suddenly fled from his legs. What in the name of Olympus had happened? Gingerly, he stepped around the blood, which had stained the white bath rug, and he leaned against the handle of the shower. The frosted glass offered no indication as to the condition of the body behind it.

"Please, Gaia. I beg for your mercy," he whispered as he pulled open the door. The tile floor was spotted crimson, and he nearly collapsed where he stood as he watched blood-tinged water run down the drain.

"Good morning, handsome. Care to join me?"

Hades stuck his head inside the shower and beheld the shapely form of his lover, her supple skin dotted with bubbles. Immediately, he sent his thanks to Gaia as he shook the horrible images from his head.

"Christ, Hades. You look like you've seen a ghost. Are you all right?" Lexi walked up to him, lifting his chin with her hand.

"Yes, I'm fine, now. However, I was a little taken aback by all the blood on the floor of your bathroom."

"Oh, that. I started my period and didn't quite make it to the shower in time. Mom's going to be pissed about the bath rug." She pressed her moist lips to his parched mouth, offering him a kiss that had his senses reeling again. "Are you up for a little psycho sex?"

"Psycho sex?"

She grinned as she pulled him into the shower. "You know, the Alfred Hitchcock movie Psycho. It had a scene where a woman is killed in the shower and the blood runs down the drain. I know you don't watch movies in the underworld, but I can't imagine you've never heard of Alfred Hitchcock."

He nodded. "Actually, I have seen The Birds. It was rather disturbing."

Lexi chuckled as she ran her fingers through his damp hair. "It seems strange that the god of the underworld would be disturbed by psychotic birds. I figure you've seen your fair share of disturbing things."

"I have, but it does not mean I have become immune to the effects."

"Every day you surprise me with some new endearing trait," she said as she brought her hand to his face, caressing his cheek tenderly. "You are more than I could have asked for."

Hades reached for her hand and kissed it. "And each time you speak to me with such sincerity, I'm reminded of how fortunate I am to have earned your devotion."

Lexi pressed her drenched lips to his mouth. "We sound like a couple of sappy, old folks. Can we skip the love sonnets and fuck already?"

"That, my lady, is the sweetest sonnet you can utter to me."