Chapter 15

We were able to beat the first shift work traffic and get to the Opera House an hour before the show started.

I looked around at all of the families, slowly filing into their seats. If anything, Luke and I were under dressed. Some men and boys wore tuxedos, whilst women and young girls wore ginormous, poofy princess gowns with white gloves pulled tightly up their arms

"So do you know who the acrobats are?" Luke asked when we sat in our seats, which were unbelievable. The Breyers had managed to get us center front row.

"I think Mary-Lynn said it's Cirque du Soleil," I said, looking through the program.

"Oh that's cool." He nodded as he spoke.

"Yeah it should be fun." I looked up and smiled.

"Thanks for inviting me, Jules. I know you're probably bummed that Ashton couldn't make it," Luke said.

"Well as long as it's you here with me than some weird, hobo stranger, it's all good." He laughed. As much as I hated to say this, Luke was a good looking guy; all of the band mates were. "So how are things with the band going?" I asked,

"Pretty good, so far. Cal and I have been spending a lot of time in the studio writing out lyrics. We have a few songs ready to record."

"Oh, which ones? Ashton's already metioned a few of them."

"We got Heartbreak Girl and Try Hard down so far but we have absolutely no clue when we'll record."

I nodded. "So what about concerts and stuff? Have you got anything booked for those?"

"Yeah, I think we've got a headlining tour being scheduled to do in the fall I think in May." He smiled as he spoke. I loved seeing how hard all of them were working to get known and make themselves big. "Does Ashton talk to you about any of it?"

"Yeah, a little bit. He seems to have no idea what's going on half the time though." I laughed.

"Well that's Ashton for you," he smiled. "How have things with your parents been? I think last time you and I talked they still hadn't had much contact with you."

I shrugged. "Well they did end up calling on my birthday, but I was asleep and missed the call but they left a message so that was nice."

"Did you call them back?"

"Yeah...but they didn't pick up so I just left a message saying, thanks." I looked down at my hands and knotted them up.

"Well I mean...at least they called...right?"

"I guess, yeah."

"Do you wish they called more?" His voice sounded sincere and concerned.

I bit my lip to keep it from quivering. "Of course I do but they have to do their job." My voice cracked as I spoke. "I can't be mad that they're working to pay the bills and such." 

"What does Ashton think of all of this?"

"He thinks they should be able to put aside some of their time to talk to me and that they're awful parents but it bothers me when he says that because they're not. They're really not." Hot, salty tears fell from my eyes slowly. I sniffled and took a deep breath, trying to contain myself but I couldn't; the tears just wouldn't stop.

I could tell Luke had to do quick thinking so he put his arm around me in comfort and rubbed my back.

"Hey, hey. It's okay." he said softly. "I think Ashton's taking it a little too far saying they're awful but he does have a right to be annoyed with them, as do you. I totally agree with you though; they do have a hardworking job that keeps them busy. You said they're doctors right?" I nodded in his chest, the tears starting to slow down now. "Yeah, so that's a very hardworking job but I agree with Ashton in the sense that they can put aside a minute or two to keep in contact with their only child. Do you text or call them at all?"