Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Corinna’s POV

It took every ounce of willpower not to laugh when I woke up the next morning to the sounds of my little brother sneaking around my room, whispering to his pet toad. “Shh Freddy, Reena’s sleeping.”

I bit the inside of my lip to keep from smiling as the bed dipped, telling me that he’d climbed up. I could hear him breathing and soon felt the slimy feeling of a toad at my lips again. I opened one eye, startling him and making him jump back. “Reena!” he said, holding the toad to his chest with a guilty expression.

“Jake,” I said in a mock stern voice. “Are you trying to turn me into a toad again?”

His eyes grew wide and he shook his head slowly. I raised an eyebrow at him and he bit his lip, nodding. “Just think about how much fun it would be Reena! You could hop around all day long and you could be my pet! I would take care of you, I promise.”

I gave a short laugh but cleared my throat to cover it, sitting up and placing my hands on my hips, giving him a stern look. “Why don’t we make Jake into a toad?” I asked Freddy who didn’t acknowledge me. Jakes eyes widened and he shook his head. “No? Then I think you know your punishment,” I said, holding my hand out and he placed his toad in my hand. I put Freddy into his box and put it on the table before I tickled him mercilessly. He somehow got a hold of a pillow and weakly hit me on the shoulder with it.

“Oh no!” I said, clutching my shoulder and falling over in mock pain. “No more, please, I can’t take it!”

He laughed and kept hitting me with the pillow. Soon we were having an all out pillow fight. We were both laughing and running around the room. “Jake!” Sandra yelled, making me look at the doorway to my room.

My gaze widened when I saw Flynn standing there, his shoulder propped on the doorjamb and an amused smile on his face. “What are you doing here?” I asked, holding the pillow in front of me. I was only wearing a tank top and a pair of pyjama shorts.

He opened his mouth to reply when Sandra pushed her way past him and grabbed Jake by the wrist. “What did I tell you about coming in here,” she hissed, yanking on his small arm.

“Wait,” I said calmly. “Don’t leave Freddy behind,” I said handing the shoebox to Jake

He gave me a broad smile and whispered, “I’ll see you tomorrow,” before his mother dragged him out of the room.

I felt a wide smile stretch across my face as I watched the two of them walk down the hallway. My grin disappeared when my gaze connected with Flynn’s who was still standing in my doorway. “What are you doing here?” I repeated my question from earlier.

He straightened, scowling at me. “I came to give you a ride. Jesse seemed to think your parents wouldn’t drive you and it’s raining. He would’ve done it himself but he had an early morning class.”

“Thanks but no thanks. I’ll walk.”

I moved up to him and placed my hand on his chest, applying pressure to get him to move. He didn’t budge and when I tried to pull my hand back, he gripped my wrist, keeping it in place. “It’s already eight.”

My eyes widened. “What?” I shouted, yanking my hand away from him, my gaze moving to the clock. “Shit,” I muttered. “Fine, I’ll take the ride today but next time, don’t bother.” I pushed on his chest again and this time he moved back far enough for me to close the door. “I’ll meet you downstairs.”